Development On My Starter Issue

BigBuggie

Ok, I first posted about my starter intermittently cranking slowly 1 year ago. However, It has always started and run just fine.

Today I noticed 2 things. When my starter IS cranking slowly (seems to happen in rounds of 5 or 6 starts, Then a couple normally cranks, then 5 or 6 slow cranks etc..) cassette tape will not play correctly (very high noise to sound ratio) and the fuel door will not pop via the button.

When I get a normal crank tapes play fine and the fuel door operates normally via the button.

I will try to see if I can discover any other relationships between the starter cranking slowly and other operations.

Although, My 92' with almost 140k doesn't act up at all, aside from the aforementioned phenomenon.

Thanks! Pete

My starter seemed to be turning slower and not operating normally. I put in a new battery and was back to normal. Since my battery was over 4 years old, I returned it to Costco and got a brand new battery for $25. On your car I would suspect a bad connection of compromised battery. The starters on these are pretty tough which they better be because of the location. I was at the junkyard and took some video of a disassembled LS400 which shows the starter location and other stuff. Look for LS400 picked clean on youtube.