04' - Ride Height, Rear Suspension

jpilk99

I could be wrong, but, the rear of my 2004 LS430 seems to be riding higher than before. Also, seems stiff when I hit a bump. The interior controls for ride height at set to "normal". Anybody ever had an issue with this - how resolve?

Thanks,

Jay

I could be wrong, but, the rear of my 2004 LS430 seems to be riding higher than before. Also, seems stiff when I hit a bump. The interior controls for ride height at set to "normal". Anybody ever had an issue with this - how resolve?

Thanks,

Jay

Yours is an Ultra, right? To rule out a problem with the ride height I would cycle through the other settings to see if there is any change. When I get home in the morning I will try to remember to measure from the ground up to a given point with my 06 Ultra and let you know for comparison.

Thanks,

Jay

Yours is an Ultra, right? To rule out a problem with the ride height I would cycle through the other settings to see if there is any change. When I get home in the morning I will try to remember to measure from the ground up to a given point with my 06 Ultra and let you know for comparison.

Thanks Brett. Ya, it's an Ultra, and I've toggled through the other settings. I called a dealer and they said it's likely a sensor gone bad. I just need to figure ot which one it is an how to swap it. Can't pay the repair shop :-).

Thanks!

Thanks,

Jay

Thanks Brett. Ya, it's an Ultra, and I've toggled through the other settings. I called a dealer and they said it's likely a sensor gone bad. I just need to figure ot which one it is an how to swap it. Can't pay the repair shop :-).

Thanks!

Well you could always install a set of 15" or 14" wheels on the back to level it out! :D Or leave it like it is and it should fit right in down in East LA B) Perhaps someone here with the shop manual can provide some information on how to trouble shoot it and where the sensor(s) is/are located?

I would LOVE that. As I posted on another thread, I can't believe I never read about this air suspension being a problem. It's sounding like a $2-3k repair, which of course I can't do. And no matter what size tires I put on it :P it's still unsafe to drive over 5 mph. I hit one bump and it hops around like a jack rabbit. I'll destroy tires of zip off the road.

The more I torture myself about this situation it seems to me that some little switch/electrode-thingy somewhere is failed and is telling the car to inflate those rubber bladders in the shocks to 100%. If I fix the little switch then - I ^%$#@! hope - it goes back down to norman and I can use this $70,000 car again.

JP

This may be dumb, check out the fuse which is in the fuse box mentioned as Air Sus Fuse 40A. This controls the Electronic Suspension. For information on Sensors, they are located on the Lower Control Arm. You could also do a test. First Remove the negative battery cable, then remove the fuse whoch is above mentioned, Then wait for 3-5 minutes, Here the VCM would reset. Then reconnect in the same sequence of removal. Correct me If am wrong is'nt the height control s/w in the trunk. Then ensure you need to have that to off position. Rior to the start up of this job. The attached diagram is the exploded view of the Suspension, in case you want to know the height control sensor link

post-21708-1246877333_thumb.jpg

There are three attachement which details the service of the suspension if needs be, What I think also is you need to bleed the air out of the suspension. To have it properly aligned

post-21708-1246878482_thumb.jpg

post-21708-1246878499_thumb.jpg

post-21708-1246878506_thumb.jpg

Hey, I just re-read your message and want/need to clarify a point or two:

"Here the VCM would reset." - VCM, what's that; a Vacuum Control Module?

"Then reconnect in the same sequence of removal. Correct me If am wrong is'nt the height control s/w in the trunk." - What is "s/w"? Switch? Regardless, I'm not sure what this is. I know the button on the lower section of center console/dash - just in front of shifter - has the button/switch for "Ride" setting... Is that what you mean? (Sorry if I seem dense - just can't afford to not understand the wonderful help you're providing :-) ).

"Then ensure you need to have that to off position. Rior to the start up of this job." - I assume this means to just make sure what you mean here. As noted above, I don't know of a switch in the trunk area. The one on the dask/console, would I make sure this is set to "Normal"? I think the other setting/position is "Sport"...

Thanks again!!!!

Jay

I don't have the car with me at work so I couldn't run out to confirm the switches on the center console - ahead of the shifter. So, I looked on eBay and found the attached picture that shows all buttons/switches; two rows of em' actually. It's the top row that has the ones we're talking about (I believe)...:

One for Suspension - Sport & Norm

One for Height - High & Norm

One for Power/ECT/Snow

So, I think you were talking about the middle one, for Height, and that it should be "Off". I'll double check, but, I think it's only one or the other; either "High" or "Norm"...

If this makes any sense, please let me know. I'll still check fuse as soon as I get home.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Jay

post-74544-1246890470_thumb.jpg

Well, good idea on the test, but, it did not solve it :( . Fuse was good.

found out what the VCM is, Vehicle Communication Module.

Not sure what to do next. Better line up a second mortgage just in case...

Well, good idea on the test, but, it did not solve it :( . Fuse was good.

found out what the VCM is, Vehicle Communication Module.

Not sure what to do next. Better line up a second mortgage just in case...

Jay,

Thats the major drawback to owning one of these beautiful high tech cars, they cost a mint to buy and another mint to repair. They're a wonder to drive though when everything is working correctly. After reading some of the posts of those without the Ultra option and talking with numerous Lexus salesmen when I was shopping for mine, it seems as though most couldn't tell the difference between having the air suspension and not, unless of course you paid for the option <_< . That being said, here is a shade tree solution. Is it possible to simply pull the fuse to disable the air suspension and let it settle back down to the normal height? Seems to me there must be a provision to do this. After all when you raise and then lower it has to vent the excess air. I know this is a roundabout way of dealing with this, but if you can live without it, it surely couldn't cost much if at all. Let us know what you find out.

That's my goal - to 'disable' the air ride suspension. Can't figure out how. I'm hoping to "pull" a fuse/switch and have it settle back to normal. Something is telling that car to pump up the rubber air bladders to an incredible height... Just wish I could find someone who can tell me how B) Thanks for your help!

Jay

Jpil, what you need is to bleed the air out of your suspension, if you have the tools you can do this at home, Ok Abbrevations are VCM - Vehicle Control Management, S/w - Switch. Ok now if the fuse removal and refit has not done any improvement, then ok hay had posted this similar problem, I will posted it for you again. Do also LS430 suspension Sensors fail if you go thru puddle of water as the water ingress does cause the sensor to rust around the caps, so if you have any solvents you could clean them up or disconnect them permanently. I have already mentioned the bleed process, if not go by the process mentioned below.

Apologies for my techno jargons as I am a aviation consultant, most of words are similar, I am happy to help you anyway I can.

There are two rear height sensors, you can disconnect them one at a time and try moving them to there fullest travel either way, turning the engine on and waiting a few mins to see if the car rises or falls. Then replace the faulty one....

See this picture for details. The sensor is just to the right of where it says "HI" in the picture, you can see the electrical plug in the top, ignore the writing it was from a thread on lowering the 430. The picture is of the passenger side as seen from directly behind the car, look under the rear bumper and you will see what I mean. Unquote

post-21708-1247024996_thumb.jpg

Here is the breakaway view of the LS430 Suspension

I think there was a hiccup in the ether - nothing was embedded/attached.

TexaxMANN777, I am still confused about something and that is the consideration of releasing the air from the suspension to lower it. Obviously, this will lower it at that time. But, whatever caused it to pump to 100% to an over-inflated state will still be unaddressed. As I read that list of instructions, (thank you, by the way, great stuff), it's not like leting air out of a bicycle tire; there's a lot to it. Concerned that I will go through it all and then have the problem still.

Any thoughts?

Oh, one more thing: Happy Friday! :D Have a great weekend if I don't catch back up with you today.

Jay

Hi, I have a similar problem. While in the NORM position and the car turned off the Back end sags to the VERY lowest position. However, In the HIGH position there is no chage in hight when off. (the vehicvle does go HIGH). One thing I have noticed is that when the engine is turned off after a long ride, There is a release of air about 60 seconds later from the front which sounds like a trucks airbrakes releasing air. Any thoughts on this?????

Here is the breakaway view of the LS430 Suspension

I think there was a hiccup in the ether - nothing was embedded/attached.

TexaxMANN777, I am still confused about something and that is the consideration of releasing the air from the suspension to lower it. Obviously, this will lower it at that time. But, whatever caused it to pump to 100% to an over-inflated state will still be unaddressed. As I read that list of instructions, (thank you, by the way, great stuff), it's not like leting air out of a bicycle tire; there's a lot to it. Concerned that I will go through it all and then have the problem still.

Any thoughts?

Oh, one more thing: Happy Friday! :D Have a great weekend if I don't catch back up with you today.

Jay

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MANN777. I sat down to dive into this project and am realizing that the fantastic details and information have a lot to do with the front struts/suspension; or at least that's how it seems. Is that your impression when you sent the detailed, 3 page, set of directions? It actually looks like the front is fine -- it's the back end that is sky high.

Jay

MANN777,

I do not see the information to bleed the air out of the REAR suspension. Did I overlook it somehow? Sorry to be a pain - it's been weeks since I have been able to drive the car and need it; badly.

I've disconnected the battery and removed fuse. No luck. Disconnected sensors on rear axle/arm, no luck. Need help. Thanks,

Jay

Thoughts??? Yes, sell, or shoot, the car. The more I learn about this air suspesnion the more I'm convinced it was deliberately built to cause service issues that you and I would have to pay exhorbitant fees to their service departments to repair. $800 for a switch (height sensor) that looks like a $6 doodad at Radio Shack.

Sorry, my sense of humor is gone. Sounds like your issue MAY be compressor related. Mine is just a failed switch/sensor somewhere.

As soon as I learn more (can afford to pay to find out) I will Reply back.

Jay

check out page one of this subject, Three Documents are attached.

I am having similar problems and would love to see those exploded views but only thing comming up is "Lex LS Rocks"

What do I do to open this or did it not come out correctly, Thanks Bob

check out page one of this subject, Three Documents are attached.

---

I've read the 3 docs, many many times. Doesn't tell me how to bleed the air out - just says to do it. Seems to be talking mostly about the front wheels/sensors; my problem is only with rears.

Thanks for the info & help, but, it doesn't help. I give up.

I will let you know in detail by tmw, in the menawhile you could remove the air tube to the air suspension coming in from the compressor and have it cleansed thoroughly. If you are finding any cracks or warpness, have it replaced with part number 48934-30010. Also ensure the sensors are need to be cleansed with some spirit or alchohol to remove any rust. I am currently having it checked with my friend of mine who had done this job. Apologies for the delay.

post-21708-1248086845_thumb.jpg