Cannot Shift Into "d" Or "l". Key Locked In Igniti

Hello beautiful people,

I have a '98 GS400. The other day I was feeling adventerous and I took apart my console as well as the shifter cover just to check out whats going on in there. I disconnected the car lighter, ECT, VSC, and the 12v adapter. I put everything back together how it was,(so i thought) and now I can't shift into "D" or "L". On top of that, my key is locked in the ignition. Any idea of what it could be? Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I love you all very much.

Hello beautiful people,

I have a '98 GS400. The other day I was feeling adventerous and I took apart my console as well as the shifter cover just to check out whats going on in there. I disconnected the car lighter, ECT, VSC, and the 12v adapter. I put everything back together how it was,(so i thought) and now I can't shift into "D" or "L". On top of that, my key is locked in the ignition. Any idea of what it could be? Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I love you all very much.

Take it apart again and make sure that the shifter can move completely forward into the park position. I had this same problem a year ago, and found that a paper clip had fallen into the shifter slot and was keeping the lever from making the last few thousandths of its forward travel.