High Pressure P/s Hose - Easy To Replace?

Porschefan

Hi Guys

My '96 LS400 has sprung a leak from the High Pressure power steering hose, took it to my local independent and they use genuine toyota parts at around $400 for this tube (Part No. 44410) plus fitting.

I've seen after market equivalents (even Amazon have one listed http://www.amazon.com/Lexus-LS400-Power-St...522&sr=8-1) in the $100 region.

Whilst i'm not a mechanic i am fairly competent (used to have a Range Rover with air suspension :0) from what i can see, i just need a Flare Nut wrench and some time, would this be accurate? Is there anything specially difficult about replacing the hose myself?

Cheers

Ants

www.parts.com has lowest price for true OEM parts I've seen. Check there it may be even cheaper (Than dealer) and to the point that you want to give it a go on your own. Lots of posts about PS fluid leaking into alternator and permanently damaging it so be aware. Not sure if your leak is getting any fluid in that area but be advised of the risk.

Thanks, yeah that was the reason i got it checked.

I came here looking for info and read about it dripping on alternator, hence i got it checked a.s.a.p. luckily the leak is away from the alternator, at one of the joints.

The local independent reckons it would take at least 2 hrs to replace, has anyone tried it? is it not just a tube with 2 nuts on each end?

Sure i'd have to refill/bleed the system but i can't see how it can take 2 hrs