Is This True?

I was going to get some ADR 19" rims for my 1999 Gs300 and when I went to the tire shop, the guy told me that 19" would rub, reduce the life of the tires drastically, and hurt my transmission. Are any of these true? Are 19's even recommended for my car? Any info would help. Thanks

Did he look up the specs on the particular rims you want? Without knowing width, offset, and tire size he could not truly determine if they will rub. You would also get lower profile tires to keep the overall diameter within specs for your transmission, so that wouldn't be an issue. Low profile tires do have stiffer sidewalls and will ride rougher, relatively speaking. Here is a link which shows the relationship between offset, width, and tire diameter: Wheel / tire size calculator. For example plug in 215/60-16 16x7 ET38 and 225/40-19 19x8 ET32 you can see the diameter is the same and clearance on the inside is the same. Since I don't know the actual specs on the wheels you want, this is just for educational purposes.:whistles: TireRack lists plenty of 19" wheels for our cars: TireRack. Whatever you buy has to have the same bolt pattern 5x114.3mm and use a 60.1mm hub centering ring.

Sounds like a blanket statement. Did he know the specs on the particular rims you want? Without knowing width, offset, and tire size he could not truly determine if they will rub. You would also get lower profile tires to keep the overall diameter within specs for your transmission, so that wouldn't be an issue. Low profile tires do have stiffer sidewalls and will ride rougher, relatively speaking. Here is a link which shows the relationship between offset, width, and tire diameter: Wheel / tire size calculator. For example plug in 215/60-16 16x7 ET38 and 225/40-19 19x8 ET32 you can see the diameter is the same and clearance on the inside is the same. Since I don't know the actual specs on the wheels you want, this is just for educational purposes. :whistles: TireRack lists plenty of 19" wheels for our cars: TireRack.

appreciate the help. You make more sense than the guy. I'll do some research and see what I come up with. Thanks again