Chrome Wheels

Bought 2008 LS 460 with 8k miles in April '09. Chrome wheels don't seem to be chrome. Lexus chrome wheels installed at 4800 miles according to service history. Noticing that they "bubble" and "peel" like there is a plastic coat over them as well as some odd black marks that look like scrapes or scratches but they aren't. Have another vehicle with chrome wheels that are 4 years old and not a mark. I believe that the Lexus chrome wheel is chrome painted or chrome plated. Either way, they are bogus. I just sent an email to my local dealership asking for a response. Somewhere in this forum or another one, I saw a similar complaint that had a response from Lexus that the "chrome" wheels aren't covered under any warranty even though Lexus did in fact put them on. I can't wait for this fight to start!!! Anyone with any information or experience, please advise.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought 2008 LS 460 with 8k miles in April '09. Chrome wheels don't seem to be chrome. Lexus chrome wheels installed at 4800 miles according to service history. Noticing that they "bubble" and "peel" like there is a plastic coat over them as well as some odd black marks that look like scrapes or scratches but they aren't. Have another vehicle with chrome wheels that are 4 years old and not a mark. I believe that the Lexus chrome wheel is chrome painted or chrome plated. Either way, they are bogus. I just sent an email to my local dealership asking for a response. Somewhere in this forum or another one, I saw a similar complaint that had a response from Lexus that the "chrome" wheels aren't covered under any warranty even though Lexus did in fact put them on. I can't wait for this fight to start!!! Anyone with any information or experience, please advise.

Factory chrome wheels used to be covered by the factory warranty, at least mine were when I purchased my 2001 LS430. I still have this car and the chrome wheels look as good as when they were new :) . Perhaps your dealer had these wheels chrome plated by an aftermarket wheel shop. I'd be ready for that fight as well.

If the dealer sold the car with Lexus wheels with aftermarket chrome, they should be covered by the car's basic 4 year / 50 mile warranty or by a separate warranty that matches the Lexus warranty in duration.

Mine were covered. By the time I bought my 2000 LS400 after it came off a 3 year / 36,000 mile lease, its chrome wheels were badly pitted due to being used during three winters. They were not the official Lexus chrome wheel option but were Platinum Series wheels (same as standard on the 2001 LS430) that had been chromed by an aftermarket company.

My chrome wheels were replaced under warranty with refurbished chrome wheels immediately after I bought the car in 2003. By the way, nearly six years later, the refurbished chrome wheels still look like new. Unlike the original lessee, I don't use them in winter.

Your case seems to be different in that the wheels did not come on the car when it was new. I suspect that your wheels will be covered by a shorter warranty -- perhaps only 12 months from the date the wheels were installed.