Maximum Possible Fuel Economy?

Slvr99LS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have a grey beard too if I had to deal with the human race.

LOL - Very good one!!!

SRK - I must apologize for replying to your post with haste - it was the Redbull talking. (not a good thing at 10pm) i hope there is no foul amongst us. B)

i also didnt mean to get way off base from the original OP slvr99ls.

on a more positive spin, several people mentioned the air filter, so i decided to check my OEM air filter this morning before heading to work, and even though i just replaced it a couple months ago, it was full of summer bugs, small leaves and maple seeds! so i took it out and cleaned it with my air compressor and a high power nozzle. the amount of crap collection on it was unbelievable! note my intake is the original setup. spring and summer is more active with congestion in the air, and when i drive home in the evening on the back roads the bugs do come out hot and heavy, and they seem to find thier way to my air filter.

so if you havent checked your "new" air filter in a month or so, and your LS is your daily driver, give it a good inspection. for those of you with a modified intake, without the original shroud, your inspection and cleaning will be easier im sure! ;)

i was hoping my LS wasnt missing a front "bug/decontaminant" screen of sorts. could one be integrated??

Lex it up!

No need to apologize Marklouis - I enjoyed your post. No foul at all.

As much as bugs and large bits look bad on an air filter, it is the fine stuff that plugs them. Years ago I drove a Cummins powered truck in the summer, and noticed a lack of power one day. The air filter was covered in a fine brown powder, like wheat flour almost, from the dirt roads. I knocked it out for a while and removed pounds of the stuff. Perked up the engine right away.

Regarding OP for increased MPG. I was reading about O2 sensors (pretty good article here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?p.../o2sensor.html)

Anyway they go on to say:

“The (O2) sensor does not begin to generate it's full output until it reaches about 600 degrees F. … It (the ECU) remains in open loop operation, and uses all sensors except the O2 to determine fuel delivery. Any time an engine is operated in open loop, it runs somewhat rich and makes more exhaust emissions. This translates into lost power, poor fuel economy and air pollution.

… If you have a defective thermostat, this (O2 sensor) test may not be possible due to a minimum temperature required for closed loop operation…..”

So a car running too cool due to a stuck open thermostat can lead to poor fuel economy. Properly working O2 sensor and thermostat need to be check list items for good MPG.

No need to apologize Marklouis - I enjoyed your post. No foul at all.

As much as bugs and large bits look bad on an air filter, it is the fine stuff that plugs them. Years ago I drove a Cummins powered truck in the summer, and noticed a lack of power one day. The air filter was covered in a fine brown powder, like wheat flour almost, from the dirt roads. I knocked it out for a while and removed pounds of the stuff. Perked up the engine right away.

Thanks SRK B)

good point. there was a good cloud of dust and pollen when i was blowing it through with the air compressor. and the bugs and small leaves really just "bug" me knowing they are in there. i clean out my trunk and hood grooves frequently from the dead bugs and leaves - its pretty nasty sometimes. <_<

Regarding the air filter, I pull mine out and vaccum/blow it out every couple weeks. And yes there are always a few bugs in there haha.

If you do this, REMEMBER WHEN USING THE AIRGUN: only blow from the backside, so you blow the crap OUT and not DEEPER into the filter.