2000 Es 300 Falls Out Of Reverse - Cable Adjustment?

I have an 2000 ES300 and when I shift into reverse it shifts out periodically and into neutral if I don't keep a slight bit of forward pressure on the gear shift. The gear shift does not move to the neutral position, there just seems to be a false neutral there. I am wondering if there is an adjustment that could tighten this up and keep it from happening. I have taken it into two different transmission shops and had a scan done and they are showing no codes and the transmission checks out fine. One thought that it may be the neutral safety switch, but it it was going to be a $400 guess as he really had no idea. I will appreciate any help on this that I can get.

there is not really a cable adjustment for this transmission because it's an electronic transmission. the older transmission using ATF Dex3 or Dex4 have a cable for adjustment. i believe the late 99 models started using the electronic transmission.

it's going to be a tough guess on this one. make sure the ATF fluid level is correct.

I cannot verify this for sure, but my manuals show a cable adj at the trans itself. The manuals show that where the cable end attachs to the shift lever, there is a slot that allows for adj.

Before you try adj, I suggest that you check the motor mounts. Park the car in a space where you have a bit of room to move around. Open the hood and stand off to one side. (very important to stand next to the car, NOT IN FRONT). Have a friend shift the car from reverse, to drive, and give it a little bit of gas (1200 to 1500 rpm), while FIRMLY pressing on the brake with the left foot. Watch how much the engine moves forward, and backwards. REMEMBER TO STAND OFF TO THE SIDE, AND HAVE ENOUGH SPACE SO THAT IF THE CAR MOVES SLIGHTLY, YOU CAN REACT BEFORE BAD THINGS HAPPEN!! STAND OFF TO THE SIDE OF THE CAR.