Nakamichi Intermittent Right Channel Fixed

bowrider

Before anyone sends their Nakamichi head or amp unit away for repair, just take the time to check the connections on the amp. On my 1999 LS400 the right side speakers cut in and out with no pattern whatsoever. I played with the balance and volume controls endlessly to no avail. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it a few minutes later to no avail. You do not even need to remove the seat. All you have to do is leave the system on......move the seat as far to the front and as high as possible.......remove the plastic cover over the amp (which is located under the seat on the 99 LS400). Note that there are 2 -.5"x.5" square plastic doors that must be removed prior to the removal of the 2 screws that hold down the plastic cover. Once I removed the plastic cover I started by unplugging and plugging the connection furthest to the right and voila the right channel kicked in. I haven't absolutley nailed down which pin it is but at least it appears quite convincingly that it is the connection rather than the head or amp. I hope this works for you.

Cheers

You might be able to localize the intermittent connection further by using something insulating like a chopstick and tapping in specific points to see if can narrow it down further. It might end up being as simple as cleaning a connector with some type of electronic solvent cleaner or maybe finding a cold solder joint on the PCB. If a cold solder joint a gentle reheat with a soldering iron and a dab of rosin core solder and you might recover it.