My 91 Ls400

Oh, you're a Snowbird, eh? You must have gotten out of here just in time, we had something like 14 consecutive 100+ degree days.

Very nice car! Am I wrong, though, but is your right front wheel on the wrong side? Those wheels are directional.

You got it right. Snowbirds we are. We have a house in the Anthem Country Club-I17 to Flagstaff. It's a Great place.

Very good eye too!!! How can you tell from the picture that my right front wheel in on the wrong side? Can you explain.

Best

Chris

What!? You don't have a place in Mesa, not a true Snowbird then. :lol:

As to your front wheel, if you compare the front and rear wheels on the right, the "spokes" or vent holes don't go the same way. I believe they're oriented such to help cool the brakes/rotors. Unfortunately the L and R stamped on the wheel is on the inner side of the wheel. You'd have to take it off to confirm but I'd bet you'll find an L stamped on it.

Look at your spare tire and see if the wheel is stamped with an R. At some point along the way when getting new tires, the technician didn't realize the wheels are directional. I haven't read any threads here discussing tire rotation, but I believe this limits you to front/rear rotation only, not the X pattern. I'm not sure how big of a deal it is operationally but, to me, it's more of an aesthetic thing. How are they on the driver's side? If there both L's then the spare is most likely an R then you could have the tires swapped the next time you're due for a rotation.

On my 90, one of the wheels was bent slightly but fortunately the spare wheel was for the same side.

I'm not saying you have to do anything but just wanted to bring it to your attention. Congratulations, though, on having such a nice ride.

Oh, you're a Snowbird, eh? You must have gotten out of here just in time, we had something like 14 consecutive 100+ degree days.

Very nice car! Am I wrong, though, but is your right front wheel on the wrong side? Those wheels are directional.

You got it right. Snowbirds we are. We have a house in the Anthem Country Club-I17 to Flagstaff. It's a Great place.

Very good eye too!!! How can you tell from the picture that my right front wheel in on the wrong side? Can you explain.

Best

Chris

As to your front wheel, if you compare the front and rear wheels on the right, the "spokes" or vent holes don't go the same way. I believe they're oriented such to help cool the brakes/rotors. Unfortunately the L and R stamped on the wheel is on the inner side of the wheel. You'd have to take it off to confirm but I'd bet you'll find an L stamped on it.

Look at your spare tire and see if the wheel is stamped with an R. At some point along the way when getting new tires, the technician didn't realize the wheels are directional. I haven't read any threads here discussing tire rotation, but I believe this limits you to front/rear rotation only, not the X pattern. I'm not sure how big of a deal it is operationally but, to me, it's more of an aesthetic thing. How are they on the driver's side? If there both L's then the spare is most likely an R then you could have the tires swapped the next time you're due for a rotation.

On my 90, one of the wheels was bent slightly but fortunately the spare wheel was for the same side.

I'm not saying you have to do anything but just wanted to bring it to your attention. Congratulations, though, on having such a nice ride.

From what I recall from my owners mnul i that there are three "R" wheels and 2 "L" wheels. More than likely because the "R" side is likeliest to get damaged on a curb.

It is the radial tires that keep it from being an "x" pattern or tire rotation.

More than likely all 4 tires got changes at the same time, it is a very easy rim to get backwards by accident, especially with more than one tech working on them, but I imagine you are better off leaving it facing in that direction until your next tire change, and flipping it to the other side may create some nasty tire issues.

Best

Chris

I checked today the wheels. You are right :) :)

Here is the current set up:

Front:

R L

Back:

L R

Two weeks ago I bought new tires-not from Lexus and eventually no Lexus knowledge by the guy who did it. :( :( :(

Best

Chris

I'm not a tire expert by any means, but if it's just been two weeks, I'd take it back and have them change the wheels. Mark the tires front-left, front-right etc so they don't move location, take them off the wheels and put back on the correct ones for each side.

They messed up, they should correct it.

I'm not a tire expert by any means, but if it's just been two weeks, I'd take it back and have them change the wheels. Mark the tires front-left, front-right etc so they don't move location, take them off the wheels and put back on the correct ones for each side.

I'm with AZ, they should flip them back for you, just make sure they don;t go and flip the rim when your not looking to save time.

I'm with AZ, they should flip them back for you, just make sure they don;t go and flip the rim when your not looking to save time.

Thanks guys, wilco.

Best

Chris

Thanks for the input. I checked the product specs:

Product Description

Features and Benefits

For all vehicles, can be mounted in vehicle

Fully automatic with charging status indicated by LED

Reverse polarity and
short circuit protection

12 Volt, 1.5 Amp charge rate

Portable

Is this the same protection like the in-line fuse?

Thanks

No not at all. The short circuit protection you refer to is that the charger can withstand being connected to a dead short while powered up for an indefinite period of time. A useful feature but since these chargers are quite low in current it isn't as big a feat as they make it sound.

This however has nothing to do with the point of putting a fuse on the red wire right at the battery. At the risk of beating an almost dead horse to shreds I'll state it one more time. The purpose of the fuse on the red wire is to protect the possibility of the red wire somehow getting pinched which would cause a short to ground. By putting the fuse at the battery end you protect that wire from turning red hot and potentially causing a fire. Protection of wiring is always done at the source of the energy, not the load. In this case the source of the energy is the battery. This is why in your house the electrical first flows to a breaker panel before the house wiring. They protect the branch circuit wiring at the source of the energy. If the breakers where in the receptacle of your home and somehow the wiring got pinched in the wall (too tight a staple or a drywall screw) then that branch wiring could start a fire because it isn't protected at the energy source.

Its the same in your Lexus. The battery first goes through a fusible link (main whole vehicle fuse) then it is subdivided into branch circuits with individual fuses. The fuses are at the energy source before the wiring.

Thanks for the input. I checked the product specs:

Product Description

Features and Benefits

For all vehicles, can be mounted in vehicle

Fully automatic with charging status indicated by LED

Reverse polarity and
short circuit protection

12 Volt, 1.5 Amp charge rate

Portable

Is this the same protection like the in-line fuse?

Thanks

No not at all. The short circuit protection you refer to is that the charger can withstand being connected to a dead short while powered up for an indefinite period of time. A useful feature but since these chargers are quite low in current it isn't as big a feat as they make it sound.

This however has nothing to do with the point of putting a fuse on the red wire right at the battery. At the risk of beating an almost dead horse to shreds I'll state it one more time. The purpose of the fuse on the red wire is to protect the possibility of the red wire somehow getting pinched which would cause a short to ground. By putting the fuse at the battery end you protect that wire from turning red hot and potentially causing a fire. Protection of wiring is always done at the source of the energy, not the load. In this case the source of the energy is the battery. This is why in your house the electrical first flows to a breaker panel before the house wiring. They protect the branch circuit wiring at the source of the energy. If the breakers where in the receptacle of your home and somehow the wiring got pinched in the wall (too tight a staple or a drywall screw) then that branch wiring could start a fire because it isn't protected at the energy source.

Its the same in your Lexus. The battery first goes through a fusible link (main whole vehicle fuse) then it is subdivided into branch circuits with individual fuses. The fuses are at the energy source before the wiring.

Thank you, you got a very good point.

WILCO.

Best

Chris