Engine Code 71 Egr Issues

aarman4

1991 LS400

Hey guys, long time no see. I have a code 71 here. I have the manuals on disk, the only problem is that the troubleshooting section for this code hooks me up with an electrically controlled EGR troubleshoot, rather than the pneumatic(basic) EGR system that my 91 has.

If you have the manual, it is on page EG600 - to about EG610 I think. I haven;t officially doen the test on EG603, but that is what happens when my code appears after clearing it... Warms up, gets to highway speed, and on.

I will probably just troubleshoot the temp sender anyways when I have time, but since I will have the EGR off for that anyways(again), I figured I should be ready this time. i have little EGR experience whasoever. It was cruddy inside last time i took it off(1 week ago), but I used a screwdriver to push up on the diphragm and it would move, but i am unsure how much pressure it is supposed to use. It definitely moves when I push it, but by no means is it super easy... Let me know if any of you have a quick troubleshoot for these EGR valves so I can hopefully rule it in or out soon.

Thanks guys!