Sunroof Broken,,lexus Want To Charge $1600,,please Help

So today my sunroof would not close...it would still go back some but only goes forward about a 1/4 of the way and then stops and goes back a little bit. I cannot pull the sunroof forward to close it or anything. when i took it to lexus today they told me it would cost about $1600 and i really want to find out if this is them trying to scam me.. they said the cables were crossed and that the motor was bad but i hardly ever used the sunroof so i cant see how it could go bad already...anyone have this happen to them or have any ideas if they are trying to rip me off..any help would be appreciated

So today my sunroof would not close...it would still go back some but only goes forward about a 1/4 of the way and then stops and goes back a little bit. I cannot pull the sunroof forward to close it or anything. when i took it to lexus today they told me it would cost about $1600 and i really want to find out if this is them trying to scam me.. they said the cables were crossed and that the motor was bad but i hardly ever used the sunroof so i cant see how it could go bad already...anyone have this happen to them or have any ideas if they are trying to rip me off..any help would be appreciated

That price sounds about right. The problem is that, even though you hardly use the sunroof, you should still exercise it every month to keep thing lubricated and in good working order. The tracks and the sunroof motor do freeze up if you dont use it a lot.

If it doesn't say to use the sunroof once a month in the operator's manual, then you are not responsible for the maintenance of it in that regard. If you ask me, you're getting screwed by the dealership, big time! I would contact Lexus Corporate to inquire about solutions to fix this problem, not the dealership. This sounds like a design flaw. If you can take a Civic to a shop and have a powered sunroof installed for $1,000, then there is no reason why it should cost $1,600 to untwist a cable that shouldn't be twisted in the first place, assuming you haven't done anything outside of the normal use and operation of the sunroof itself "no 90 mph panty raids down the freeway sort of stuff".