Folding Mirrors Ls430

htbotdvr

Are you sayng when your car is off that the mirror folds in, and you want it to stay folded in while driving? I can't imagine why you would want that, but as far as I know you can't fold in only the passenger side mirror. You can both drivers and passengers always out, both always in, and automatically folding in and out like you have it now.

I think you are saying the mirror folds out so that the edge of the mirror faces forward and the mirror face is nearly parallel to the side of the car, mirror side facing outward.

I had this problem a couple years ago and they replaced the mirror. It was about $1000 repair and not covered under warranty because they claim the mirror was damaged (some paint on mirror).

At the time the car was a company vehicle so I wasn't paying the repair bill. As such I didn't fight back too hard.

The problem is there aren't too many parts available for the mirror it is replaced as a complete (and expensive unit). The issue is something to do with the switch that determines the mirror is fully extended. It doesn't send the signal so the motor keeps turning the mirror outward past the proper stop point. Maybe you can take the assembly apart and find out why this signal isn't working.

I looked at the repair manual for the '04 LS430 and it doesn't offer any diagrams or repair info on the internals of the mirrors. It only gives a test procedure and if the mirror behaves like yours does it say to replace the entire mirror assembly.

Your options are:

1) Manually move it to driving position and leave it alone (turn off auto mirror switch)

2) Get adventurous and disassemble the mirror and see if it is something obvious like a micro switch that tells computer unit to stop motor when it gets to driving position.

3) Get a new one from on line parts outlet (Champion Toyota is $609.25, parts.com is $495.55 for p/n 8794050432c0 2004 ls430)

4) Try a used parts dealer like http://www.specializedpartsplanet.com/

• 2 weeks later...

:) I got very lucky,The Toyota dealer checked it out and found a motor problem and it was covered under extended warr. But the cost to replace it as it has to be done complete was about $980.00

thanks for ur info. as always this site is the bestttt.

• 4 years later...

I have a similar problem with my driverside mirror.

The retractor motor ,that folds the mirror back out, repositions it

too far inward so that I can't adjust it out far enough to see.

The repair manual is not helpful.