Advice Needed On Purchase

Hello you all,

at the moment I'm considering in buying a Lexus SC series. I found two main posibilities: a 93' SC400 and a 99' SC300. So now about them:

SC400:

-verry good condition;

-new interior, new leather;

- DVD player (no priority to me :D);

-new paint job;

-bad mileage: 300k miles

SC300:

-also not bad condition;

-conditionaly low mileage 160k miles;

-rebuilt after accident (front left side);

So it figures, witch one is better, hope you guys can tell me more. The main concern is the mileage, how sensible for mileage are 1UZ-FE and 2JZ-GE. Oh and the diferrence in price is around $1k, SC400 is cheaper. Thanks in advance :)

Hello you all,

at the moment I'm considering in buying a Lexus SC series. I found two main posibilities: a 93' SC400 and a 99' SC300. So now about them:

SC400:

-verry good condition;

-new interior, new leather;

- DVD player (no priority to me :D);

-new paint job;

-bad mileage: 300k miles

SC300:

-also not bad condition;

-conditionaly low mileage 160k miles;

-rebuilt after accident (front left side);

So it figures, witch one is better, hope you guys can tell me more. The main concern is the mileage, how sensible for mileage are 1UZ-FE and 2JZ-GE. Oh and the diferrence in price is around $1k, SC400 is cheaper. Thanks in advance :)

I've got an SC400, love it when all is good..V-8, great power no mods, SC300 less power V6, easily modified. 3 weeks ago I noticed a small crack in the PLASTIC RADIATOR!! $555.00 for a new metal one. (Of course I, & you can find cheaper ones, I got one for around $220.00) last week,my starter went (140k 0n car) $289.00 Bosch replacement, I found a reman for 150.00. NOW HERE IS WHERE YOUR DECISION STARTS.. 45mins labor to replace SC300 starter..5 FRICKEN' HOURS by a certified mech. Backyard wrenchers .."Don't even think about it!" That's about $400.00 just in labor, as opposed to $50-60.00 for the SC300. The starter is ON TOP of the engine, you cannot even see it at all until the air intake, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel injector rails, etc. are removed.

Point is, I love my SC400, but if I had to do it over, definately SC300. You will blow the $1000.00 price diff the first time something goes wrong...and those miles...Fuhgittabouit..

I've got an SC400, love it when all is good..V-8, great power no mods, SC300 less power V6, easily modified. 3 weeks ago I noticed a small crack in the PLASTIC RADIATOR!! $555.00 for a new metal one. (Of course I, & you can find cheaper ones, I got one for around $220.00) last week,my starter went (140k 0n car) $289.00 Bosch replacement, I found a reman for 150.00. NOW HERE IS WHERE YOUR DECISION STARTS.. 45mins labor to replace SC300 starter..5 FRICKEN' HOURS by a certified mech. Backyard wrenchers .."Don't even think about it!" That's about $400.00 just in labor, as opposed to $50-60.00 for the SC300. The starter is ON TOP of the engine, you cannot even see it at all until the air intake, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel injector rails, etc. are removed.

Point is, I love my SC400, but if I had to do it over, definately SC300. You will blow the $1000.00 price diff the first time something goes wrong...and those miles...Fuhgittabouit..

Do you mean those miles are unimportant or in that mileage the engine has lived his life allready? I totaly understand, that maintenance cost is high for Lexus, like I read somewhere in this forum: "You own a Lexus - act like one" :D

Do you mean those miles are unimportant or in that mileage the engine has lived his life allready? I totaly understand, that maintenance cost is high for Lexus, like I read somewhere in this forum: "You own a Lexus - act like one" :D

No way i would get any car with that many miles unless I was planning on replacing the engine immed. SC300 is a far better "responsible" choice, mechanically and affordability. You wanted advice, I gave it to you, if you are one of the fortunate ones that has disposable income & money to burn, then fine..lucky you..

but you don't have to mimic the mentality of a Prick that would say "You own a Lexus - act like one". Sounds like a pretentious !Removed! to me..

No way i would get any car with that many miles unless I was planning on replacing the engine immed. SC300 is a far better "responsible" choice, mechanically and affordability. You wanted advice, I gave it to you, if you are one of the fortunate ones that has disposable income & money to burn, then fine..lucky you..

but you don't have to mimic the mentality of a Prick that would say "You own a Lexus - act like one". Sounds like a pretentious !Removed! to me..

Thank you for your advice. You understood me wrong I'm not one of those, who splash money to left and right. If I where one of those, I wouldn't ask for an advice, now would I? :) That joke (if you could call that a joke), read somewhere, and found it funny that's all :)

Thank you for your advice. You understood me wrong I'm not one of those, who splash money to left and right. If I where one of those, I wouldn't ask for an advice, now would I? :) That joke (if you could call that a joke), read somewhere, and found it funny that's all :)

1999 SC300 has a better engine and alot of other upgrades. There are some go-fast mods for the engine and the stick-shift can take boost mods, etc.

I have a 1992 SC400 with 250k miles, wife bought it at 180k and has since re-done the heads. The bushings on the chassis and drive line are good... the exhaust doesn't leak, and overall it's in fine condition, so I would believe a 300k SC400 would work for a while... but yeah the fixes cost $$$.

IMHO 300k miles for an unrteated (not taked care of) engine is a dead line - full engine rebuild needed, but you can't know in what condition it is when you buy it, you can't get inside the engine :). Is there other ways to check engines condition besides compression check and besides electronic ECU diagnostic? And another question, are there many Lexus aftermarket parts manufacturers? :)