Multiple Issues

EPJr

i have a 95 ls400. a few weeks ago, the key started getting stuck in the ignition. this only happened after the car was cranked, and put in gear. i tried cleaning out the key insert, but nothing helped. ive done most of the stuff suggested on these forums, but the only thing that has worked for a while was tapping the key with a hammer. after a few taps, the key comes right now.

i talked to a mechanic friend, and he suggested there might be a prob with the shift mechanism. a few yrs ago, the front windshield was busted out. my friend said there might be glass in the shifter. so i took the shift mechanism apart, and there was a bunch of glass and other junk. i had to take apart the whole shifter to get to it all. (as i took this apart, i noticed a broken piece laying at the bottom of the shifing mechanism. i dont know what it came from. does anyone know how to get replacement part numbers for this area? does anyone know where I can find a DIY also?????????????) but now, i cant get the shifter to work right. i took plenty of pics to make sure i could get it back together. now the car will shift into gear even without pressing the brake pedal. i took the car around the neighborhood to make sure everything else worked ok. i noticed the car will not go into 3rd gear. even when i put the shifter into the 3rd gear, the transmission will not shift. it will drop to second, but not 3rd. does anyone have a diagram on how to put the shifting part back together. i am guessing by all this, i didnt do something correct.

now after i have done this, the key will not come out of the car. even with the hammer taps.

PLEASE HELP. i have no idea on what to do now.

umm...the key won't come out after you have turned the car off? or are you trying to take the key out with the car running.....

and regarding your shifting problem, the only idea i can think of is to take it all apart again and make sure nothing is missing/broken. Then clean it out again and put it back together.

The Lexus tranny is heavily dependant on electrical sensors and if any of them are faulty or damaged it can cause the tranny to do any number of things.

umm...the key won't come out after you have turned the car off? or are you trying to take the key out with the car running.....

and regarding your shifting problem, the only idea i can think of is to take it all apart again and make sure nothing is missing/broken. Then clean it out again and put it back together.

The Lexus tranny is heavily dependant on electrical sensors and if any of them are faulty or damaged it can cause the tranny to do any number of things.

the key will not come out, after the car is shut off.

i forgot to add, when I did take the shifter apart, there was a broken piece, laying at the bottom of the shifter mechanism. Where can I find a replacement part numbers? Have you or has anyone seen a DIY on rebuilding the shifter mechanism?????

I've seen a DIY regarding the shifting mechanism but that was only in order to replace the shift knob with an aftermarket one. It might help though. And i'm pretty sure that broken piece is your shift lock piece.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/shifter.html

That's for replacing the shift knob if you wanna take a look. I've never taken apart the entire shifter so I don't know exactly what your looking for...sorry.

Bring it into a Lexus dealer and have em look at the ignition key in order to find out why it's stuck.