Three Questions - Transmission Fluid, Air Filter, Gas Pedal

eli2k

I figure transmission fluid needs to be changed every 30000 miles. I don't drive that far each year (maybe 5000 miles), so it takes a long time to get up to 30000. I was at the car shop today, because I needed an oil change, and they said the transmission fluid was needing some changes because it was sorta seeping out onto some plate at the bottom of the car. Online some places say 30000 miles or 30 months. It has been around 3 years already, since the last change. I was hoping someone can clear it up.

Second question - is there an air cabin filter in this car. If there is, where is it, and how do I change it?

Third question - my gas pedal gets sticky, after I sit at a stop light for a few minutes. I've read online/here that it could be caused by residue build-up in the butterfly valve/throttle body. I asked the car shop today about, and they sorta looked at it and said there was some crud they cleared out, but the problem is still there (maybe it's less severe). What else can I do? I'd rather not do this myself, because if something breaks, I don't know how to get the car to a repair shop.

Thanks,

- Eli

Eli,

You'll have people telling you just about every schedule you can imagine as to tranny fluid replacement. Look at your owner's manual and follow what Toyota suggests is the correct interval for your car. You can stretch that schedule if you must, but in a car that you're going to keep for a long time, or as in your case, one that doesn't get many miles in a year, you're best to follow the schedule. By the way, keep an eye on your leak. It may be tranny fluid, but could just as easily be power steering fluid, brake fluid or engine oil.

Check your owner's manual to see if your car is cabin air filter equipped. If it is, the manual will show you how to change it. Typically you have to remove the glove box door (about 4 screws) and the air filter is in behind and pulls straight out. Sometimes there are two, and after removing the first one, you slide the one on the right side over to where the first one was and pull it straight out as well.

!Removed! for your sticky throttle, it may be that your throttle cable needs to be lubricated with cable lube, or that your entire throttle body needs to be cleaned, sometimes called seafoaming. Both jobs are best left to a service tech unless you're a backyard mechanic whose been in the backyard a while. Good Luck!

Eli,

Your car has cabin air filter equipped. The manual show you how to change it. Typically you have to remove the glove box door (about 4 screws) and the air filter is in behind and pulls straight out. Sometimes there are two, and after removing the first one, you slide the one on the right side over to where the first one was and pull it straight out as well.

post-26724-1241150036_thumb.jpg

If your 2001 ES300 is like my 2001 ES300, you'll find the cabin filter accessible through an opening on the driver's side just to the right of the accelerator pedal. As I recall, I had to depress the pedal to get it out of the way so I could remove the filter.