Knocking Noise From Glove Box Area When Turning

peteanello

I've had this knocking noise from the glove box for several weeks. I figured there was something in the glove box moving around when I would make turns. I finally got around to checking it out and emptied the glove box. Took a test drive and the noise was still there. I can't figure it out.

Sounds like a bolt or nut hitting against something when I make a moderate turn and it doesn't matter which way I turn. Although, if I take two right turns it only makes the noise on the first turn. Then if I take a hard left the bang happens again. So, it's like there is a nut on a rod that slides back and forth from left to right to left.

I never noticed it when I got the car in Dec '08.

Any ideas?

Thanks....

I've had this knocking noise from the glove box for several weeks. I figured there was something in the glove box moving around when I would make turns. I finally got around to checking it out and emptied the glove box. Took a test drive and the noise was still there. I can't figure it out.

Sounds like a bolt or nut hitting against something when I make a moderate turn and it doesn't matter which way I turn. Although, if I take two right turns it only makes the noise on the first turn. Then if I take a hard left the bang happens again. So, it's like there is a nut on a rod that slides back and forth from left to right to left.

I never noticed it when I got the car in Dec '08.

Any ideas?

Thanks....

Sounds to me like it could be a cv joint I woud let the dealer check it out right a way.

UPDATE....noise occurs also when breaking.

Sounds like a bolt/nut loose under the glove box. The area is covered by black plastic.

Cv joints dont useally make noise when braking, Are you sure the noise is inside the passeger compartment? If so I guess somthing could be loose

under the dash. I would take in and let the dealer have a look should be under warranty.

Yes, it's definitely coming from inside the passenger compartment, below the glove box. I also emptied out the center console just in case and it was still comming from the glove box area. I only have about 4k miles on the car, but I may bring it in early to have this checked out.

Thanks for your suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it's definitely coming from inside the passenger compartment, below the glove box. I also emptied out the center console just in case and it was still comming from the glove box area. I only have about 4k miles on the car, but I may bring it in early to have this checked out.

Thanks for your suggestion.

The problem may be your A/C fan hitting when you go around a turn sharply. This is located in the back of your glove box where the cabin filter is located. Turn your A/C off and make the turn as you usually do. If you don't hear the noise, then the problem is the fan hitting it's shroud.