Gx470 Extended Warranty

TX LEXUS

I had originally posted this under an existing thread, but I wasn't sure if it was no longer being viewed since it was not new. So I apologize in advance for those who are reading this twice, but I'd really like to get people's opinions on this topic as it looks like I am going to have to make a final decision this week.

I have been torn with this topic recently as I am trying to decide if the costs of the warranty are necessary, and I am approaching the 50K mark on my '05 GX470 that will increase this cost once I reach it. (Incidentally, for those considering an extended warranty I was given advice from a dealer that it is more to your advantage if you wait until your original warranty expires before purchasing an extended one, as long as the vehicle is still under 50K miles, you will get better time/mileage terms for your money). On one hand I rationalize that I bought a Lexus for its quality and reliability, which apparently is no exception when it comes to the GX470. And then on the other hand, I've had several people suggest that it is a worthwhile safeguard (on any vehicle in this class) due to all of the computers and electronics that are in the vehicle; the repair of just one of these could potentially exceed the cost of the warranty. Any further thoughts on this topic?

Also, I'll have to go back and look to one of the other threads as well, but I believe someone had suggested a particular dealer somewhere in the country to purchase an extended warranty. Was my original thinking wrong that the Lexus warranty program was a standard price determined by the desired length and/or mileage, or is this something that can be comparison shopped (I am only referring to the Lexus authorized warranties, not from third parties that often send out mailers)? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

TX Lexus, thats a loaded question :) You ask if its worth while buying a Lexus extended warranty? If you future repair bill exceed the cost of the warranty, then its worth it. I know thats a stupid answer but an extended warranty is a insurance policy, the cost is already calculated with the risk. If every Lexus is the same, then one can answer a simple yes or no, but it is not and everyone have different experience.

A lot of owners have been having problem with the rear air suspension on the older GX. The two height sensor slone is almost the cost of the extended warranty. There is a guy name troy out in Toyota of Springfield MA selling Lexus platnium warranty for about $1800, 7 years, 100000 miles. If you do a search, you will find more info. Good Luck.

Personally in my case, I did NOT purchase the extended warranty. I bought my GX brand new and I have a "guinea pig" GX.. The reason is because most of the bugs and problems already came out within my original warranty and I've properly maintained the car ever since day 1 so I know that there shouldn't be any MAJOR problems with my GX (knock on wood)...

Hope that helps. ;)