Oil Filter Removal And Battery Date Question

DaveinTX

I'm the same Dave from previous post, sorry to bother all but a couple more questions.

I was checking the battery and the month/year markers on the battery were not punched out, but there was a sticker on the battery that says 3/08. The car is an 04, I'm not sure if that sticker means March of 2008, or Aug. of 2003. Does anyone know for sure?

I'm also getting ready to start my 1st oil change, I was able to squeeze my hand up through a hole and touch the oil filter, I havn't tried to unscrew it yet. I'm temped to go jack it up enough to get my head underneath and see how hard it is to pull the cover underneath it. Does anyone know if that cover underneath needs to come off to fit the old filter out and new in? Thanks again -Dave

Hi there all it's Dave, same guy who posted the question. I was able to get the oil filter out from above, I have long arms though and it was a pretty far reach, seemed easier than going from the bottom once I grabbed it from both positions. It was also very tight, I had to get it loose with a big pair of channel locks, I will try and get a oil filter wrench that fits that filter perfect before the next change. Later guys -Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I should have answered you sooner, but here goes. The oil filter is very easy to get to from underneath. There are two 10mm bolts that hold a small section of the plastic cover underneath just below the oil filter. You don't have to remove the complete cover, but rather take the two bolts out and the cover has a flex joint in it that bends down. The oil filter is right in your hand. If you remove it from the top, you will wipe up oil for weeks that gets caught on the plastic pan. Put your floor jack just behind the driver front wheel on a beefy part of the frame. This not only gives you room to get to the oil filter, but tilts the engine correctly to drain all the oil. The drain plug is 14mm and be sure to change the oil while hot, which flushes the pickup screen and carries the deposits out the drain. Looks like that are very few of us that actually change our own oil anymore....

Thank you very much, next oil change will be much easier. I had a sore spot on my forearm for a few days after, it was rubbing something when removing that filter from above, glad I won't be doing that again. I had a feeeling there was a small panel under it but I was too lazy to jack it up, I will next time.

I am actually more of a motorcycle guy, when I bought it a few years ago (honda vtx 1800) I started using some of the online forums and there is a ton of info. Many guys post procedures for modifications with pictures ect. I am kind of surprized at the lack of mechanical info on this site. I guess most people that can afford this car pay someone else to do their wrenching. Not only can I not afford to pay someone else I don't trust anyone else, I have seen some very bad work and had too many people try to screw me. I think now that the prices are coming down low enough for people like me (like to work on stuff) to buy this car we will see more posts about repair and maint. I'm not white trash, just middle class. The neat thing about your reply is now any other new owners who want to change their own oil will know how to remove filter and won't need to wait for a answer. Thanks again-Dave

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I couldn't believe how hard it was to find a post about changing the oil! You are absolutely right about the benefits of changing your own oil. Those untrained idiots at the big oil change retailers aren't touching my car! Same with washing/waxing. There's no better way to bond with your car than spending an afternoon hand polishing it (BTW, I use Zaino Brothers polish, which is amazingly better than any wax you'll find). Thanks for the detailed instructions. TIme to get dirty...