Was I Ripped Off?

Last week, a local shop replaced the serpentine belt on my 2001 IS 300 (104K). They broke the bolt on the tensioner and then installed a brand new tensioner, splitting the cost with me. My portion was around $98.00. I took the part home, looked at it, and it seems to me that they could have just replaced the broken bolt instead of a whole new tensioner. Does that sound right, or am I missing something?

They broke the bolt and split the cost of replacing the tensioner with you? And thats a good deal why?

In the very least the tensioner replacement should have been free since their incompetence broke the bolt.

I didn't think it was a "good deal". I was furious when my wife told me about it. I just thought before I chewed the guy's head off, I'd calm down, check around, and ask others if breaking the bolt on the tensioner is ever "excusable", or likely to happen. I've replaced the serpentine belt on my old Dodge van several times without any problems. Should have done this job myself.

post-32796-1239059229_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't think it was a "good deal". I was furious when my wife told me about it. I just thought before I chewed the guy's head off, I'd calm down, check around, and ask others if breaking the bolt on the tensioner is ever "excusable", or likely to happen. I've replaced the serpentine belt on my old Dodge van several times without any problems. Should have done this job myself.

Mechanic did the same thing; broke the bolt and ended up replacing the tensioner as well. But he didn't offer to split anything with me. maybe it's a weak spot on the IS300

• 3 weeks later...

At my shop if it wasnt broken when i brought it in and then they messed up they are liable. I would of not paid anything since they broke it then again if you refuse to pay they might only break something else. Try to find a better shop yours sounds kinda sketchy.