Rear Obstacle Sensing System

We just purchased an RX 330 and my wife would really like to add the Rear Obstacle Sensing System accessory so I called our local Lexus dealer and they said that it's no longer available (I'm located on the east coast of Canada).

I was wondering if there is anywhere else I can get this accessory for my 2005 RX 330?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We just purchased an RX 330 and my wife would really like to add the Rear Obstacle Sensing System accessory so I called our local Lexus dealer and they said that it's no longer available (I'm located on the east coast of Canada).

I was wondering if there is anywhere else I can get this accessory for my 2005 RX 330?

Hi Brian!

I have the same concerns as your wife. I found and purchased the device you can find at:

https://rearlens.com/ap_2000_pro.html

but it has had mixed reviews and I am not sure it is great. I have not installed it yet (nor, obviously, tested it...). I have an RX300 and just bought an RX350. The RX350 has worse rear-view ability than the RX300, so I'll probably put it on the newer car in due course.

Thanks for the fast reply, however we would like to stick with official OEM Lexus accessories!

Thanks once again....

Hi Brian!

I have the same concerns as your wife. I found and purchased the device you can find at:

https://rearlens.com/ap_2000_pro.html

but it has had mixed reviews and I am not sure it is great. I have not installed it yet (nor, obviously, tested it...). I have an RX300 and just bought an RX350. The RX350 has worse rear-view ability than the RX300, so I'll probably put it on the newer car in due course.

Are you refering to the camera at the back?

Are you refering to the camera at the back?

No, it's an optional accessory.....

Rear Obstacle Sensing System º $535.00 (Lexus Installed MSRP)

The Rear Obstacle sensing System is great for neighbourhoods with lots of children. Invisible sensors behind in the rear bumper provide an audible alert for the driver, when the vehicle is in reverse.

We have this option on our 2005 Jaguar S-Type.

Just be aware that its accuracy can vary depending upon weather conditions. When the weather is clear with low humidity, it works as the marketing propaganda says it does. But in rain or snow, the sensors can get fooled and delay the audible signal in the cockpit. If you are backing up relatively fast during heavy rain or snow, you could strike the object behind you at about the same time the sensors detect it and generate the audible signal.

Don't know if the Lexus system is affected the same way. You may want to check it out. Buyer beware, you know....

Thanks for the heads up...we are very familiar with this type of system as we had this exact option in our last Vehicle (2004 Buick Rendezvous). Snow, Ice and rain certainly does affect it's accuracy but in my opinion is minimal and if you are backing into a spot where you are relying on sensors you should not be driving that fast anyway :-)

In any case, I think we are getting a little off topic here, does anyone know where I can purchase this OEM accessory kit?

Thanks!

Just be aware that its accuracy can vary depending upon weather conditions. When the weather is clear with low humidity, it works as the marketing propaganda says it does. But in rain or snow, the sensors can get fooled and delay the audible signal in the cockpit. If you are backing up relatively fast during heavy rain or snow, you could strike the object behind you at about the same time the sensors detect it and generate the audible signal.

Don't know if the Lexus system is affected the same way. You may want to check it out. Buyer beware, you know....

Thanks for the heads up...we are very familiar with this type of system as we had this exact option in our last Vehicle (2004 Buick Rendezvous). Snow, Ice and rain certainly does affect it's accuracy but in my opinion is minimal and if you are backing into a spot where you are relying on sensors you should not be driving that fast anyway :-)

In any case, I think we are getting a little off topic here, does anyone know where I can purchase this OEM accessory kit?

Thanks!

I always thought that either the system came 'with' the car, or else was unavailable. If you find out how to have it installed, and particularly if it can be done by a Lexus dealer, could you post the result?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I always thought that either the system came 'with' the car, or else was unavailable. If you find out how to have it installed, and particularly if it can be done by a Lexus dealer, could you post the result?

Thanks!

No it's definitely an optional accessory that can be added on after however my dealer says that it's discontinued for my vehicle that's what bought me to here to look for the kit!

Thanks!

Thanks!

No it's definitely an optional accessory that can be added on after however my dealer says that it's discontinued for my vehicle that's what bought me to here to look for the kit!

Can you get the part number of the now-discontinued part?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Um, I never tried, would it be worth my while?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Um, I never tried, would it be worth my while?

Might be, if the part can thereafter be located elsewhere. But. looking at the 'older' catalogues, the system was available not as a dealer-installed system, but as a factory-installed system (I believe). Somewhat related: a friend bought a nearly-new Ford Taurus, and it lacked the aprking sensors. He asked whether he could have them installed, and the answer was 'yes', because (the delaer said) Ford has the needed wiring in place whether or not the car came with the option, and the dealer could drill the required holes in the bumper, reach under and back, and connect the sensors to the pre-existing wiring. I am not sure the Lexus has the wiring.... specially since the option was discontinued. But it is likely that the parts are available since repairs have to be made from time to time and most often manufacturers keep on supplying parts for at least ten years. You should make sure, however, that a dealer is ready to drill etc... to install the parts.