Beware Of Gen 3 Update To 8.1

I have 2004 RX330 with Gen 3 Nav system. I just installed PT219-GEN23-08. A number of things in the screen interface changed. There is a bar at the bottom that implies you should control the system with some type of joystick but my old 2004 Lexus don't have one. Touching the screen seems to work but in odd ways. Also, the controls to make the screen zoom in or out disappeared. However if you touch the screen in just the right point the system will zoom in or zoom out (your guess is a good as mine as to which it will do at any given moment). Of course, the ability to override the system so you can make changes on the go is gone. I learned all of this in the first one-half hour after updating. Who knows what other surprises may be instore for me (and my wife since it is really her car mostly). Since my maps were 5 years old, I'll live with this for a while and see if I (and my wife) can figure it out.

Thanks for sharing this - I have spoken w/ Lexus dealers to learn what changes to expect in upgrades and they do not seem to know... or they don't want to tell me.

I will probably sell the car before upgrading the nav system. BTW, Lexus seems to be the only company that does not allow entries to the system while moving.

• 3 months later...

sorry for late reply but the installer accidentally changed the computer to an is300 computer by pushing the load button on the overide screen a dealer screen . so the installer didnt know what he was doing. is300 had joy stiick control but used the same basic computer .