Voltage Surge

rtbshome

First of all many thanks to owners who have contributed over the years. I have gleaned too much to mention. Current problem with a 94 LS400 180K miles is that I am getting regular every few minutes voltage surges. Fan speeds up, lights get bright, battery light illuminates for a few seconds then drops back to normal. Digital voltage (cigarette lighter) reads 14-14.4 then soars past 16. I rebuilt the power steering pump last August and replaced the alternator with a rebuilt at that time. Every thing is dry underneath, removed the battery connections and cleaned and reinstalled (battery is less than a year old). I also checked the trunk hinge wires, but found no broken wires there. I ran the car and from underneath tried jiggling the alternator connections but the problem doesn't seem to happen very often at idle, either way I couldn't induce the voltage change from moving the wires.

I am stumped, I have another alternator coming in tomorrow, but would like to make sure I don't have another problem first. Suggestions please.

Thanks

First of all many thanks to owners who have contributed over the years. I have gleaned too much to mention. Current problem with a 94 LS400 180K miles is that I am getting regular every few minutes voltage surges. Fan speeds up, lights get bright, battery light illuminates for a few seconds then drops back to normal. Digital voltage (cigarette lighter) reads 14-14.4 then soars past 16. I rebuilt the power steering pump last August and replaced the alternator with a rebuilt at that time. Every thing is dry underneath, removed the battery connections and cleaned and reinstalled (battery is less than a year old). I also checked the trunk hinge wires, but found no broken wires there. I ran the car and from underneath tried jiggling the alternator connections but the problem doesn't seem to happen very often at idle, either way I couldn't induce the voltage change from moving the wires.

I am stumped, I have another alternator coming in tomorrow, but would like to make sure I don't have another problem first. Suggestions please.

Thanks

Check the voltage regulator.