91 Es 250

es 250 L

i just bought this car and the antenna is out in it. im not sure where the motor is or if i should see it be hind the panel there is nothing there just the coaxial cable. it looks like there some sort of harness that clips into something am i supposed to cut it?

es250L,

Someone has removed the power antenna assembly from your car, most likely because it had jammed and wouldn't go down or up, or it had been snapped off in a car wash or by vandals. The coax cable is the antenna lead in wire to the radio, and the wiring harness connector typically hooked up to a relay and a timer that put the antenna up when the radio was turned on, and pulled the antenna down when the radio was turned off.

Your best bet is to forget about replacing the power antenna assembly, because the cost of a new one from a Lexus dealership may prove too great for your pocketbook, and trying to find a used one that still works on an 18 year old wreck may prove impossible.

I'd buy an aftermarket/fits all standard antenna kit. It'll have a foot long barrel assembly that fits up through the fender opening from the bottom (inside your trunk). From outside the car various rubber seals and plastic finishers will allow you to match the antenna's vertical placement with the shape of the fender. Some sort of chrome ring/nut is slid down over the plastic fasteners to snug up the antenna assembly and seal out any water. Inside the fender(trunk) you'll find a short cable from the antenna that the other coax cable already in the car pushes in to.

From there all that needs to be done is to pull the antenna mast up and turn on the radio to enjoy. Hope this helps you out! Good Luck!

es250L,

Someone has removed the power antenna assembly from your car, most likely because it had jammed and wouldn't go down or up, or it had been snapped off in a car wash or by vandals. The coax cable is the antenna lead in wire to the radio, and the wiring harness connector typically hooked up to a relay and a timer that put the antenna up when the radio was turned on, and pulled the antenna down when the radio was turned off.

Your best bet is to forget about replacing the power antenna assembly, because the cost of a new one from a Lexus dealership may prove too great for your pocketbook, and trying to find a used one that still works on an 18 year old wreck may prove impossible.

I'd buy an aftermarket/fits all standard antenna kit. It'll have a foot long barrel assembly that fits up through the fender opening from the bottom (inside your trunk). From outside the car various rubber seals and plastic finishers will allow you to match the antenna's vertical placement with the shape of the fender. Some sort of chrome ring/nut is slid down over the plastic fasteners to snug up the antenna assembly and seal out any water. Inside the fender(trunk) you'll find a short cable from the antenna that the other coax cable already in the car pushes in to.

From there all that needs to be done is to pull the antenna mast up and turn on the radio to enjoy. Hope this helps you out! Good Luck!

I have a similar problem with the attenna not working except my unit is in place just unplugged. I tried plugging it in and the attenna went up when turning the radio on but when turned off, it went down and motor ground the gears for 5 seconds before turning off. So in order to get the radio to work, I turned it on and disconnected the attenna while in the up position. Unless there is a relatively simple way to fix the power antenna, I will probably replace it with a manual one.