Bumper Step Pad 300/330 Cross Compatible

tmastres

I finally getting around to getting one of those black plastic step/covers that sit on top of the rear bumper to protect it from scratches and the like. I was wondering if anyone knew if they are the same size/design for the 300 and the 330/350 series? I see a couple on ebay that say "bumper step pad for RX 300/330" but I'm not trusting enough to believe they are the same and was wondering if anyone here knew? Thanks!

I finally getting around to getting one of those black plastic step/covers that sit on top of the rear bumper to protect it from scratches and the like. I was wondering if anyone knew if they are the same size/design for the 300 and the 330/350 series? I see a couple on ebay that say "bumper step pad for RX 300/330" but I'm not trusting enough to believe they are the same and was wondering if anyone here knew? Thanks!

I believe the RX330 and RX350 share the same bumper pad. The 'old' RX300 (1999-2003) uses a different bumper pad, to my (limited) recall.

I believe that the top bumper pads are not compatible between the RX300 and RX330. My wife's former 2000 RX300 AWD has been gone from our driveway for more than two years now (YES!!), but I distinctly remember noticing that the size and shape of the bumper pad on her current 2004 RX330 AWD was different when we first brought that vehicle home. That pad is definitely bigger on the newer models. Now, that's not to say that you couldn't make it fit with the right tools and glue....

Let us know what you're able to determine once you've checked into it more closely....

I believe that the top bumper pads are not compatible between the RX300 and RX330. My wife's former 2000 RX300 AWD has been gone from our driveway for more than two years now (YES!!), but I distinctly remember noticing that the size and shape of the bumper pad on her current 2004 RX330 AWD was different when we first brought that vehicle home. That pad is definitely bigger on the newer models. Now, that's not to say that you couldn't make it fit with the right tools and glue....

Let us know what you're able to determine once you've checked into it more closely....

Take a look I just ordered one

http://www.factorylexusparts.com/servlet/t...R-BUMPER/Detail

Thanks All, I Believe RX is correct and the new versions are of different dimensions. I couldn't find any actual size specs anywhere but I was able to compare photos of the two different step-pads installed and to my eye the 330/350 step-pad is not quite as wide but a bit deeper (distance form edge of bumper to tailgate) than the model for the 300. The arc of the two looks pretty similar so I'm guessing that aspect will work but I'm not sure if my 300's bumper has enough depth to accommodate the newer style. I may just pick up on of the ones I saw and risk the $50 , then I'll know for sure. Thanks again guys!

Update!

I contacted the guy selling the step pads on ebay (he says he works at a Lexus dealer FWIW) and he told me that the only difference in the steps is indeed the depth (distance form the edge of bumper to the tailgate), with the 330 version being about 1 inch deeper. This would explain why it looks so much bigger and perhaps appears to be not as wide as the earlier version. Supposedly the radius of the arc is the same and it will fit on the 300 so we'll see. For $50 bucks shipped I can't go too wrong and I'll let everyone know if it works.

The key in fitting that new pad on your bumper (and keeping it solidly in place over the long haul) lies primarily in the glue that you choose. I would go with the strongest epoxy I could find, probably from the Locktite brand. I would also substantially rough up the underside of the new pad as well as the top of the bumper itself to ensure maximum adhesion, probably using steel wool....

The key in fitting that new pad on your bumper (and keeping it solidly in place over the long haul) lies primarily in the glue that you choose. I would go with the strongest epoxy I could find, probably from the Locktite brand. I would also substantially rough up the underside of the new pad as well as the top of the bumper itself to ensure maximum adhesion, probably using steel wool....

Thanks for those tips, I was wondering how they were attached form the factory. I like the epoxy idea, I don't want this thing coming loose.

Thanks for those tips, I was wondering how they were attached form the factory. I like the epoxy idea, I don't want this thing coming loose.

I would use Marine Glue. Seems to weather better than epoxy. But most probably a Lexus dealer can tell you what kind of glue Lexus uses....

• 3 weeks later...
Hey all , just for informational purposes, the 330/350 bumper step pad does fit fine on a 300. Its not exactly the same as one for the 300 but the arc angle is the same and fits just fine.

Neat. Good to know. Thanks! [And I'm sure you're glad too!]

Hey all , just for informational purposes, the 330/350 bumper step pad does fit fine on a 300. Its not exactly the same as one for the 300 but the arc angle is the same and fits just fine.

can you post pics? I'm interested to see how it looks on the rx300 compared to the original one...

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend not to use any kind of epoxy, glue etc. The original pad has a double sided tape along the edge. If you glue it down to the bumper and the step pad breaks (as they tend to break so easy, i cracked mine in the middle twice) , good luck replacing them.

I recommend not to use any kind of epoxy, glue etc. The original pad has a double sided tape along the edge. If you glue it down to the bumper and the step pad breaks (as they tend to break so easy, i cracked mine in the middle twice) , good luck replacing them.

I did not know they had a glue strip. If they do, obviously the best way to install them is to use the provided strip.

can you post pics? I'm interested to see how it looks on the rx300 compared to the original one...

Here's a pic of the 330 step-pad on my 00 RX 300. I ended up using heavy duty double stick tape rather than epoxy so I'll see how it hold up (so far so good).

post-1567-1240551631_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of the 330 step-pad on my 00 RX 300. I ended up using heavy duty double stick tape rather than epoxy so I'll see how it hold up (so far so good).

post-1567-1240551631_thumb.jpg

It looks great! Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...