Transmission A Nogo....

glenn2726

Hi all, just acquired a 92 SC400, it is the blue/gray color. My other SC400 is Black (and still waiting to be put back together from engine problems. Now the latest addition I bought and the guy said that the transmission was out in it. I start it up and put it into any gear and no movement, when I rev it up it seems like it wants to go but nothing. Checked the fluid and it looks clean and no burnt smell to it. The car has 205.000 miles on it but has always been serviced by Lexus so don't feel that the transmission is really hurt, just need to know where to start. Transmission is not making any noise and no leaks. Does this sound like maybe the transmission filter needs cleaning or more like the torque converter is out? Or?? Thanks for the help and hope to get the newest addition on the road soon. Glenn

No replies....

Well I dropped the tranny pan yesterday and cleaned the filter and replaced pan and replaced fluid with Toyota IV and was able to get the car moving. It shifts through the gears but then after it warms up it starts slipping again. Didn't think I was gonna make it home......and just went around the block. It started flashing the OD off light and the Oil Level low lights and wouldn't go in gear. Turned it off and restarted and it went into gear again.....go figure, so I tried it again today and same thing. Will be taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow, maybe it is a shift solenoid or something. At least I got it to move.

I actually had that same problem in my mitsubishi a couple of years back, I ended up changing the trans fluid and the filter and putting the car in OD mode off and that worked for a couple of months, but then I ended up getting stuck on the road oneday when it completely slipped. I ended up have to replace the entire tranny (that sucked) I hope its just your soleniod because its a lot cheaper. Let me know what the shop tells u

Update...Took it to transmission shop yesterday, took a while to drive it over as when I pulled up to a stop light...it wouldn't go, turned engine off, restarted a couple of times and had tranny again....then got almost to the tranny shop and it quit again, truned off and restarted a couple of times and had tranny, made it almost to the entrance to the shop and parked it.....Well transmission shop called this morning and said the tranny needed rebuilding, so much for it being a solenoid or anything more reasonable....talking about $2500.....geez...luckily I have a spare tranny so took it over to have them swap it out for about $400. Hopefully that will be the end of tranny probs...will keep the other tranny for parts in the future as solenoids are expensive for these things....Good luck all and thanks for the reply GoGreen.

Update, got my SC back yesterday and all is well with the transmission now. Was cheaper than letting them rebuild the other one. The swap including flushing tranny fluid from radiator, new seals, new filter, new tranny fluid, etc was $400. So I don't feel too bad.