Sc400 Transmission Problem

gk300

post-54120-1235187323_thumb.jpgI've been hearing a grinding noise when in reverse while backing down a hill and out of my driveway. Thought it might be the brakes but just found out its the transmission starting to go bad. I can't decide whether to sell or spend the money to fix. She's a 97 SC400 with "only" 115k miles and in good shape. Should I sell and make money or spend money to fix and continue to enjoy the car??? Any suggestions??? I have gotten quotes from dealer and independent transmission shop in MD....both expensive. Anyone know a good mechanic in MD?? Any suggestions/recommendations???

post-54120-1235187323_thumb.jpgI've been hearing a grinding noise when in reverse while backing down a hill and out of my driveway. Thought it might be the brakes but just found out its the transmission starting to go bad. I can't decide whether to sell or spend the money to fix. She's a 97 SC400 with "only" 115k miles and in good shape. Should I sell and make money or spend money to fix and continue to enjoy the car??? Any suggestions??? I have gotten quotes from dealer and independent transmission shop in MD....both expensive. Anyone know a good mechanic in MD?? Any suggestions/recommendations???

i recommend you invest the money into it and fix it, cause you didnt specify whether it needs a whole new transmission or whether it can be tampered with and fixed up..unfortunately im from MA and cant point you to the right mechanic, but more than likely it will cost some money :(

however the reason i say invest it, is because i have had to go through the trouble of selling a car with a tranny problem, absolutely everyone wants the car next to free because of it...they dont even care what its worth if the tranny is anything other than perfect than they want the car for free and your SC400 is certainly worth no less than 5grand even the way it is...so my idea would be to fix it up and get it running right cause it will return the favor...

also, tranny repair < new car :rolleyes: