Vsc Error When Below 40 Degrees

shicks3237

When the temperature dropped below 40 degrees at night my 98 LS 400 would give me a VSC error message and the throttle would only work when the accellerator petal was almost to the floor. I took the car into the local dealership, and they told me I needed a new throttle body ($1400). I declined the work and took the car home. After some investigation work on my part I discovered that one of the two throttle position sensors on the throttle body was worn out - that is, the one which is controlled by the throttle cable (Lexus calls it a "Lever Assembly"), and the input from the Lever Assembly controls the throttle electronically. I installed a new Lever Assembly (which cost me $285 dollars, considerably less than the $1400 throttle body that the Lexus dealership wanted to sell me) and it solved the problem.

I have read where other dealerships have replaced entire throttle bodies for other Lexus owners that have experienced identical sypmtoms. I think there may be a problem with the Lexus diagnosis procedure that is leading the mechanics to come to false (and expensive) conclusions. From my experience and the other accounts that I have heard about, this part has a tendency to wear out at about 100k miles.

Hi,

Your mention of a problem "below 40 degrees" made me wonder if it could relate to my problem. My 1991 LS400 (238K miles) cranks over but will not fire below about 40 degrees, or if it does fire up it immediately dies as if out of gas. When this first happened the temperature was below freezing so I poured in 2 bottles of Heet thinking perhaps condensation in the fuel system had frozen. Later that day after the temperature had warmed up into the 50's my Lex started on the first turn as usual and ran fine for the several relatively warm days that followed. Then came a night of 38 degrees and the problem reappeared. Obviously not frozen condensation, but what? I am stumped.

Can you tell me why your throttle position sensor was sensitive to temperature?

Thanks for any help you and other members can provide.

BillyC

When the temperature dropped below 40 degrees at night my 98 LS 400 would give me a VSC error message and the throttle would only work when the accellerator petal was almost to the floor. I took the car into the local dealership, and they told me I needed a new throttle body ($1400). I declined the work and took the car home. After some investigation work on my part I discovered that one of the two throttle position sensors on the throttle body was worn out - that is, the one which is controlled by the throttle cable (Lexus calls it a "Lever Assembly"), and the input from the Lever Assembly controls the throttle electronically. I installed a new Lever Assembly (which cost me $285 dollars, considerably less than the $1400 throttle body that the Lexus dealership wanted to sell me) and it solved the problem.

I have read where other dealerships have replaced entire throttle bodies for other Lexus owners that have experienced identical sypmtoms. I think there may be a problem with the Lexus diagnosis procedure that is leading the mechanics to come to false (and expensive) conclusions. From my experience and the other accounts that I have heard about, this part has a tendency to wear out at about 100k miles.

Wow, thanks for sharing this info!

• 6 months later...

Wow, thanks for sharing this info!

Could You please Provide Us a Link or some information where I can Find the Lever Assembly, besides from the Dealer ?

I m having the same problem and need a replacement.

I have looked through RockAuto Parts But It doesnt seem to have any reference of it.

It would be great If You can help me out ~ !