Navi Upgrades, Speakers, & Sunroof Issues 2002

BALOO BELLE

I have a 02-300 and wondering if anyone knows where to get a 08 or 09 upgrade from...besides the dealer.

i have a mark levenson sound system. I bought used and when I got the car no one had ever pushed the speakers or adjusted the equalizer. The sub blew, upon removal of it we found that the speaker was perfect in great condidtion the glue had dry rotted and disconnected from the metal frame. A month later all the mids blew...i think but not near as bad. I only hear the farting noise with old skool Lynard Synard! Every day listening I do not have a problem with. It is only certian songs that do it. Has anyone had a problem with dry rotting glue? The car is from Arizona so I would assume the heat woud speed the process??? I really want to keep the car original and just glue the freaking speakers, they are more than I need.

I was having issues w the sunroof that seemed like the linkage was off or a motor was going. I lost the auto open/close feature and noticed that when you popped the roof one side of the window was moving a different rate. I looked over everything and only noticed that when sliding the roof open that the glass was at an angle and I tugged on it and moved it back to the proper place. That did not fix anything. The next time I slide the roof back I held the button too long and heard 3 cracking noises coming from it. The problem fixed itself some how..the auto open/close came back and the movement issue if fixed. Three months later the roof is working perfectly but I have agian lost the auto open/close feature. Anyone have this problem or know why?

I also wanted to upgrade my throttle body....I dont know anything about that but, that it will increse hp light to light and help get better gas mileage. Do they make aftermarket upgrades or can i get one used from a V8??? Either way I need to at least have the old one cleaned.

Baloo Belle,

Watch eBay for the nav update CD. They show up from time to time. Just be sure to get the proper series for your car. Don't take the seller's word for it. Check with a Lexus tech for the proper serial #'s.

It is possible to fix the speakers. There are kits available to recone and replace the foam/paper sides of the cones where they attach to the metal frames. This are usually done on high end home stereo systems, but I don't see why it can't be done on the smaller speakers in your car. A good audio store in a major city should be able to steer you to someone who rebuilds speakers. Just be prepared for spending some money. Not so much for the actual speaker rebuilding, as it may be for the pulling of all of the door panels, the speaker and amp removals, and the reassembly time.

Your sunroof has one motor that is computer controlled and pulls or pushes two geared tapes inside tubes, one on each side of the car. As the roof opens these tapes are pulled to the rear of the car. From what you describe, one side had skipped a gear tooth or two, resulting in the missaligned roof glass. You apparently have that corrected, and if you're careful and lucky, you may never have another problem with it. If it does act up again, the only repair is to pull the entire sunroof assembly out of the car. This is time consuming and expensive, since the headliner, the overhead assist straps, sunvisors, overhead lights, A,B and C pillar interior panels, etc. all have to come out just to get to the sunroof. Then the sunroof assembly is removed in one piece, and once on the bench, the broken parts are changed. Three hours or more may be required, plus parts. (Read expensive .. $500 +) As for the auto open/close feature, check your manual. It may describe a procedure for resetting it.

Get your throttle body cleaned if the performance is lacking. May be a tuneup is in order. But I would advise against changing the throttle body. A larger one lets in more fuel and more air, just the opposite of fuel economy. Good Luck, and enjoy your ride!

well if there is a way to reset the auto open/close then the option got deleted, cause it dissappeared the day i disconnected the battery. I was wondering what the connection was!

...which also changed the way the navi worked. i found one setting that was the most annoying. i can live with the other i have no idea where the option is hiding at. not working wrong just different :) and i did see some updates but they were for 04?? and 150$. i think i saw a new one for 250 but i can go to lexus and get it for that. SERIAL#s ?? a part number or the generation code? what generation am I? lol i need to be-friend someone who works in Lexus parts...Employee Discount

as far as the speakers go I have a cool cat that can do the panel removal for resonable. i do not think i will have them reconned? i will just have the break in the paper sealed with some automotive glue that can take the heat. the holes cant be more than .5 in since there is only noise with certian songs. and if the speakers mess up agian i will replace them. the repaired sub has lasted 8 months. I dont crank it too high! The lady that had it never used it.

well im at 85,000 so i am due in 5 for a tune up, timming belt, water pump, fluid flushes, brakes, filters...etc MY CAR WILL BE NEW AGIAN I just got 4 new yoko tires. and I have a personal mechanic so I will only have to pay half the price! And he will clean any sensors and throttle body stuff. he is good like that.

Baloo Belle,

The serial #'s I was referring to are Version Number. You need to check with Lexus or a source that Really knows which update versions will work with your car. Your 02 has had a new updated version available for each of the last 7 years. You may find it cheaper to update to a two year old version instead?

Again, a Lexus tech should be able to reset your sunroof computer options (if there are any), and your Navigation settings. Lexus keeps all of this info pretty close to their chest, and don't share the info freely. I've even found our local Toyota dealer can't even access the Lexus info, and my closest Lexus dealership is 50 miles away.

I agree, if the speaker cones have a small hole or two, just put a thin paper patch on them, or a patch from a spare speaker cone, using a similar fabric glue that is used in bookbindings, flexible not rigid.

And yes, after you do the required maintenance you'll think you have a new car. My wife just loved her 97 but has absolutely fallen head over heels for her 04. I've tried to talk her into a newer one but she won't hear of it at this point.

Enjoy your ride!