1998 Ls 400 "check Engine" Code Engine Firing Issue

ktmrider134

I have a 1998 LS400. 180K

I was driving last night and the Engine light popped on, then the VSP )not sure if that is exactly the letters) popped on.

The car ran great even though the lights were on.

I had it hooked up at Autozone and the code was an engine misfire.

I drove the car tonight and barely made it home. The engine was sputtering pretty bad.

About 3 months ago I installed new OEM plugs. I always change the oil. This car is alway babied.

Any ideas before I spend gobs of $$ at a dealership???

Thanks for reading.

Tim

I have a 1998 LS400. 180K

I was driving last night and the Engine light popped on, then the VSP )not sure if that is exactly the letters) popped on.

The car ran great even though the lights were on.

I had it hooked up at Autozone and the code was an engine misfire.

I drove the car tonight and barely made it home. The engine was sputtering pretty bad.

About 3 months ago I installed new OEM plugs. I always change the oil. This car is alway babied.

Any ideas before I spend gobs of $$ at a dealership???

Thanks for reading.

Tim

Hello Tim;

Can you tell us anything more? There isn't a lot to go on here. I've got a code reader and periodically, I'll see misfires displayed, but you'd never know it happened because there was no hesitation or shaking.

Whether or not you've changed the oil religiously probably doesn't factor in here. It could be something as simple as bad gas, clogged fuel filter, or a plug wire has come loose......something along those lines. If your Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) has either become disconnected or it has died (unusual) it will run terrible, if it runs at all. You haven't pressured washed your under hood area to make everything "squeaky clean" have you? Washwater will get down in the plug tubes and your engine doesn't like that at all.

These cars don't just "up and die" all by themselves for no reason. Not to say it can't happen, but it's not high on the list of possibilities.

If you could help us with more information, we'll be able to contribute more. One idea though, find a good independent that specializes in Japanese Autos at a minimum, preferably Lexus. When I don't have the time or interest in working on mine, I've got a couple of Indies close by that I use. Both are quite good. They're still a little on the expensive side, but they're also 30 to 40% less than the local stealer :pirate: .

The diagnostic machines that the Stealers and Indies have are very sophisticated and it allows the shop to get to the root of the problem much faster than using the hand held units (like I have <_< ).

Sorry for the delay. On top of my Lexus issue my computer crashed friday night.

I did not pressure wash anything.

Anyway-Autozone was so busy the guy did was unable to print anything for me. He only told me it was a misfire code but at the time the car ran awesome. Friday night I was driving home and the car sputtered as if it was running on 6 cyl instead of 8. I limped home friday night and has been sitting in my driveway since. I just went out and started the car and although the engine lights are on the car is running smooth as silk.

My son works for a Toyota dealer (800 miles away) and the master tech there told him its the ignition wires. My description of the issue trigger his comment. He said it is very common for this to happen to the LS400's.

I guess I am taking it in for service.....

Confused!

Sorry for the delay. On top of my Lexus issue my computer crashed friday night.

I did not pressure wash anything.

Anyway-Autozone was so busy the guy did was unable to print anything for me. He only told me it was a misfire code but at the time the car ran awesome. Friday night I was driving home and the car sputtered as if it was running on 6 cyl instead of 8. I limped home friday night and has been sitting in my driveway since. I just went out and started the car and although the engine lights are on the car is running smooth as silk.

My son works for a Toyota dealer (800 miles away) and the master tech there told him its the ignition wires. My description of the issue trigger his comment. He said it is very common for this to happen to the LS400's.

I guess I am taking it in for service.....

Confused!

Hi Tim;

Please post back as to the result. I for one would greatly appreciate knowing what solved the problem. I can see how it could be ignition wires, but I haven't observed it being a "common" item either. Maybe the insulation on the coil wires is breaking down........dunno......

Thanks,

That is a great popint about the insulation on the coil wires.

When I changed the plugs a few months ago the insulation was breaking down pretty badly around the wires. I picked up some heat tape and rewrapped as best I could.

I should have replaced them also.

Anyway the shop should have things completed this week and I will post the result.

Thanks,

Tim

That is a great popint about the insulation on the coil wires.

When I changed the plugs a few months ago the insulation was breaking down pretty badly around the wires. I picked up some heat tape and rewrapped as best I could.

I should have replaced them also.

Anyway the shop should have things completed this week and I will post the result.

Thanks,

Tim

k;

I picked up some heat tape and rewrapped as best I could.

I'd bet money that's what the problem is. High voltage will jump the path of least resistance. Humidity will make the problem worse because it lowers the impedance (resistance) of air, which makes it easier for a high voltage to arc through a marginal insulator (bad coil or plug wire).