New Short Engine Block With Error Code 1349

quantum

My daughter drives a 1999 Lexus RX300. Blew a rod while she was out of state at 99,000. Had the car towed to nearest dealership and took Lexus up on a 'goodwill' 50% off of parts for a new short engine block. 1,500 miles later, we are seeing error codes 0300, 0301, 0305, 1349. Cylinders are misfiring. Dealership in Illinois wants to replace the VVT solenoid and actuator, but I think it is an improperly installed timing belt that was replaced by the other dealer out of state. Of course, no one wants responsibility for this. Can anyone tell me where I can find documentation that describes service procedures for error code 1349?

I did find this but assume it is from a spyder:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:vWVDSA...;cd=1&gl=us

BTW, we are meticulous about oil changes every 3K and have very good documentation to this effect. Bought the car at 60K and have pretty good maintenance records from the prior owner as well.

Any advice? Dealer is telling me they will not service my car and want me to tow it out. However, I'm in Ohio, car is in Chicago, and repairs were done in Wisconsin. Adds to the misery.

I know I read something on this but cant find it. I Would check timing belt for correct setup, that is a first. What kind of motor oil did you use.?

these motors are prone to sludge. I am wondering if the cam valve is sludge up and giving you incorrect timing. would explain the one bank of codes. I found a troubleshooting section in the repair manual at around page 1706. The manual is a 34mb pdf file....I dont know if it will download, try....

http://www.divshare.com/download/2564077-62d

I know I read something on this but cant find it. I Would check timing belt for correct setup, that is a first. What kind of motor oil did you use.?

these motors are prone to sludge. I am wondering if the cam valve is sludge up and giving you incorrect timing. would explain the one bank of codes. I found a troubleshooting section in the repair manual at around page 1706. The manual is a 34mb pdf file....I dont know if it will download, try....

Thank you for your input. The dealer in Wisconsin and the manufacturer assured me in writing that the original issues were not sludge related. However, I am obviously skeptical. To help others, I picked up a copy of Mitchell's Repair information that says that possible causes of these errors are incorrect valve timing, faulty oil control valve, faulty VVT controller assembly, or a faulty ECM. Only known cause of these issues. I would proceed with the repairs at the dealer, but they are kicking me out. They don't want responsibility for another dealer's engine replacement. Lexus has been no help and would not guarantee the diagnostic procedures. I have more info from the Identifix and Mitchell repair if anyone is interested.

So sorry, I hope you have success, I would look at the timing, and the oil control valves incase they are stuck or messed up with sludge. That side of the engine gets hotter than the front and could be that valve. Please keep us informed of the fix for our data base of fixes. If you need any pictures of different sides of the engine I have them, as I just helped a neighbor rebuild the same engine on a highlander due to sludge...

Here is the PDF file for the timing belt....They make it more difficult than it is, There are marks on the timing belt covers as well as on the engine block area near the crankshaft, once these are lined up you are set to go....

timing_belt.pdf

Thank you for your input. The dealer in Wisconsin and the manufacturer assured me in writing that the original issues were not sludge related. However, I am obviously skeptical. To help others, I picked up a copy of Mitchell's Repair information that says that possible causes of these errors are incorrect valve timing, faulty oil control valve, faulty VVT controller assembly, or a faulty ECM. Only known cause of these issues. I would proceed with the repairs at the dealer, but they are kicking me out. They don't want responsibility for another dealer's engine replacement. Lexus has been no help and would not guarantee the diagnostic procedures. I have more info from the Identifix and Mitchell repair if anyone is interested.

seems to me the work at one dealer should be covered warranty wise at all dealers, they are giving you the run around, maybe a call to Lexus of AMerica would be useful.....

thank you again lenore. I am attempting to have the car transported back to Ohio and will let you know what we find out (if I keep the vehicle). I'm still betting on an improperly installed timing belt. The car is shaking miserably from the valve collision and the brakes are locking up.