Power Steering Flush / Fluid Return Hose

Ford

I did a partial/incremental fluid change on my daughter's 93 LS400 power steering fluid a few days ago (removed contents of reservoir, filled with new ATF, ran engine, repeated process several times). I wasn't happy with the result, so I went ahead and followed the procedure at http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html last night. Everything went great, except I'm unable to re-attach the fluid return hose snugly on the reservoir. That is, I have it re-attached, and there's no leak, but I'd feel more comfortable if it was snug up against the reservoir (like it was originally) instead of an inch shy. It was about 20F last night, so I got the engine nice and warm in the hopes it'd make the hose a bit more pliable, but I still can't get the hose to budge. Is there anyone whose done this that has any tips they'd like to share? Short of doing a lot of dis-assembly, I'm just not seeing any way to create enough space so that I can get a good grip on the hose and try to pull it through that last inch. I'm willing to go the dis-assembly route just for my peace of mind, but I'm hoping there's an easier solution I'm overlooking.

Thanks,

TF

You could use a blow dryer or drop light to heat up the hose to make it more pliable. I used a drop light to heat up a vacuum hose after the tip cracked because of the cold. As long as you have the hose over the "bump" and have it clamped, it should be good. It's the bump that seals the hose, the extra length won't prevent leaks, it's there for the clamp.

I did a partial/incremental fluid change on my daughter's 93 LS400 power steering fluid a few days ago (removed contents of reservoir, filled with new ATF, ran engine, repeated process several times). I wasn't happy with the result, so I went ahead and followed the procedure at http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html last night. Everything went great, except I'm unable to re-attach the fluid return hose snugly on the reservoir. That is, I have it re-attached, and there's no leak, but I'd feel more comfortable if it was snug up against the reservoir (like it was originally) instead of an inch shy. It was about 20F last night, so I got the engine nice and warm in the hopes it'd make the hose a bit more pliable, but I still can't get the hose to budge. Is there anyone whose done this that has any tips they'd like to share? Short of doing a lot of dis-assembly, I'm just not seeing any way to create enough space so that I can get a good grip on the hose and try to pull it through that last inch. I'm willing to go the dis-assembly route just for my peace of mind, but I'm hoping there's an easier solution I'm overlooking.

Thanks,

TF

Instead of disconnecting the hose, plugging the return, fighting to get the hose back on and making a mess, etc. It's much easier this way.... turn the car on and let it run at idle speed. Remove the power steering cap. Use a wet-vac with a smaller hose taped to it so it fits into the reservoir. As the car is running and pumping the fluid, suck some out, down to the screen near the bottom of the reservoir, then refill... keep doing it until you are happy with the color of the fluid being sucked out. (Use a clear piece of hose so you can see the color of the fluid). An added benefit is that the wet vac sucks out the crud that has accumulated on the filter/screen near the bottom of the reservoir. byerjv@yahoo.com