Removal Of Fan Bracket On '99 Ls400

AZ Mike

I'm in the process of breaking down the front of the engine bay in order to replace my timing belt, etc. I have hit a point of confusion and am wondering if anyone can offer a word of advice. I have been following the service manual steps in removing parts from the front of the engine. I am to the fan bracket. The service manual states that after removing two nuts and two bolts, it can be removed. I removed the nuts and bolts, and it isn't budging. Has anyone run into this? Is the order of breakdown in the manual incorrect; i.e., am I supposed to remove some other parts first that appear after the fan bracket in the manual? If all else fails, I will begin dismantling things around it that also must come off; for peace of mind I was trying to stick to the order as presented in the service manual.

The fan has 4 bolts to the bracket and all 4 have to come off. It is common for them to fuse solid , it has to be heated , only problem it will turn the oil inside to glue and lock up the fan . SO try small amounts of heat to loosen them .

You are referring to either the fan or fan clutch. I got those off easily. I am referring to the fan bracket, which is what the fan clutch mounts to. I didn't realize that it shared a bolt w/ the a/c compressor. Once I got that bolt out, it popped right off.