Rx400h Ac Power Outlet - How To Make It Active Full Time

I've got a 2006 RX400h and have a Zoombak portable tracking (GPS) device plugged into the rear AC outlet and would like to keep that outlet hot even when the ignition is off to keep the device fully charged. Is there an easy way to bypass the ignition switch for this circuit?

The device contains, essentially, two rechargable AA batteries so I'm not too worried about battery drain and all that.

Thanks,

Steve

> plugged into the rear AC outlet

Gee, do I have one of those? :) Is it an option?

> The device contains, essentially, two rechargable AA batteries so I'm not too worried about battery drain and all that.

Given how easily the small 400h battery can be drained, and the fact that the both the AC power inverter and your GPS power-supply/charger will always use some current regardless of the status of your AA batteries, I'd still be weary of doing this.

Other than experimenting, you could try and measure the current on the 12V side of the power-inverter (through the fuse box?) when it's active and your GPS is plugged in and charging.

• 2 weeks later...

The a/c outlet is included with the RSES (Rear Seat Entertainment System)

The outlet is behind the rear passenger seat on the wall and is next to a video/audio input jack. Basically it is there so you can connect your xbox or whatever to the RSES.

The switch to turn it on is next to the Gas Door opener button.

I've got a 2006 RX400h and have a Zoombak portable tracking (GPS) device plugged into the rear AC outlet and would like to keep that outlet hot even when the ignition is off to keep the device fully charged. Is there an easy way to bypass the ignition switch for this circuit?

The device contains, essentially, two rechargable AA batteries so I'm not too worried about battery drain and all that.

Thanks,

Steve

Welcome sgordon,

The fact that your ipod or whatever is low power drain is not your main concern. Your 400h's 12v accessory battery is pretty small. It doesn't have cranking power, because the HSD doesn't have a starter moter ... rather it uses the car's traction motor to start. It's a great system, but the down side is that the manufacturer was able to install a smaller battery that was never intended to be used a lot (design defect?). You can read several threads here on folks that drained their battery simply because they left a door ajar ... or they were installing / testing a satelite radio. So if you activate enough 12v power to use your little device, there's a high probability some other paracitic power consumption source will also be in the same circuit. Next thing you know ... bam . . . she no start. Now if you want to install a larger battery, there are several that have gone to the Optima (sized for a Miata, I believe) battery, thereby preventing battery drain. It's similary sized, but it has cranking amps ... which will allow you to accidently leave doors ajar, etc. & not end up having to get a jump start.

Optima 51R is the beast that was recommended in another thread. Direct mount and the terminals are in the correct place! Good amp-hours and they do not mind being deep-cycled.

From what SEGMN is saying, it seems to me that the RX400h battery is like a BIOS battery in your computer. Basically holds electronic settings, but little else.

I did notice on our RSES that the AC switch is not momentary, meaning that it toggles between off and on. If the device you have has lil batteries in it and your switch is on, you will charge your device when the car is on and it will have to survive on batteies when the car is off.