Windsheild Sparklies

thehef

On my new (1 month old) 2008 GS350, when the sun is just about to set or a bit after rising. the light reflected off of the windshield causes many sparkling dots and what looks like slight scratch lines to appear. I have tried to clean it off both inside and out. The dealer's detail shop has tried to clean it. I cannot tell if the sparklies are from material on the glass or in the glass

The service manager agrees that there is something on the windsheild

The service manager and the Lexus rep checked out other cars at the dealerships and I was told that about 99% of the Lexus cars on the lot have this same problem.

Next week, the dealer is going to try to clean it again and if their detail people cannot get it clean they will get their "glass guy" involved.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Any suggestions waht to do?

I've had this problem as well. Here is what was found.

If you use the same cloth or microfiber towel that was used to wax the car then there will be little wax globs that streak and reflect light.

If you use a cheap microfiber towel they will create a static charge and the microfiber will shred onto the glass and stick. It can be moved around but is very difficult to remove.

The solution?

Use Dawn detergent in a weak concentration (1 TBS/quart) and a sponge to clean the windshield. Then use a cotton towel that you know hasn't been used for waxing and a water bottle sprayer to remove the detergent. Go over the windshield once again with the water and another clean towel. Raid the kitchen supply of towels if you have to. Another alternative is to spend big bucks on expensive microfiber towels. The ones Costco and Sam's sell shed quite a bit of lint type material.

I'm sure Lexus would have figured out these little markings were just fibers. I'm assuming the marks in question are stationary?

Plus, if so many other models on the lot have the problem, well... Lexus doesn't detail the windshields with microfiber towels...