New Poster Would Like Advice On Sunroof Problem And Passenger Seat Mem

My dad just got a 2002 Lexus ES300 with 68,000 miles.

The car seems good except for 2 issues.

1. The sun roof opens, tilts and closes but its very tricky to get closed all the way because it doesnt seem to know when it is closed all the way and keeps going till it tilts up. Is there some trick on how to close it? It sometimes tilts up at the end or makes a clank sound. Shouldnt it know when it is closed and stop? Any advice?

2. The other problem is the memory seat beeps and works right on seat number 1 (drivers) but not on seat 2 (passenger). Any advice?

Thanks in advance. Your help will be much appreciated to my 72 year old dad. :)

In the 11 page sunroof diagnostic procedure for my 00 LS, there is a limit 1 switch and a limit 2 switch described as being on or near the sunroof motor. I am guessing these switches sense when the sunroof is open or closed and stop the motor. I don't see any instructions for reducing the forward travel of the sunroof. The way the sunroof works may be different on your 02 ES. The LS has an auto close sunroof feature with "pinch protection" -- don't know if the 02 ES has that.

Have you checked for debris or something bent (e.g. the little arms for the pop up wind deflector) that could be impeding the closing of the sun roof? This would probably be an easy one for a mechanic to figure out.

What do you mean "not on seat 2 (passenger)"? The memory function is only for the drivers seat and has nothing to do with the front passenger seat. Have you set a second drivers seat memory position by pressing in and holding the Set button while you press the "2" button?

In the 11 page sunroof diagnostic procedure for my 00 LS, there is a limit 1 switch and a limit 2 switch described as being on or near the sunroof motor. I am guessing these switches sense when the sunroof is open or closed and stop the motor. I don't see any instructions for reducing the forward travel of the sunroof. The way the sunroof works may be different on your 02 ES. The LS has an auto close sunroof feature with "pinch protection" -- don't know if the 02 ES has that.

Have you checked for debris or something bent (e.g. the little arms for the pop up wind deflector) that could be impeding the closing of the sun roof? This would probably be an easy one for a mechanic to figure out.

What do you mean "not on seat 2 (passenger)"? The memory function is only for the drivers seat and has nothing to do with the front passenger seat. Have you set a second drivers seat memory position by pressing in and holding the Set button while you press the "2" button?

Thanks so much for the response. I thought #2 on the seat menat the passenger seat not a 2nd position for the driver.

I will keep looking for something on my dads sunroof.

He also says he hears a blunt knock noise once in a while. He said maybe its his breaks. I havent heard it yet. That is my next step