93 Lexus Gs 300 Overheating

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 93 Lexus gs 300 with about 210000 miles on the 2jzge engine and it came with its problems, which i figured i could fix on my own

seeing as though they werent that major and the car was still in decent condition.

The car tends to overheat after driving longer than 25 minutes and i cannot figure out why. The coolant in the coolant tank always boils over during this time and i can hear it boiling in the radiator as well and steam or smoke is seen coming from the reservior . It has a new theremostat installed btw and a new engine fan was installed. I can smell the antifreeze in the exhaust and theres also white smoke that pours out the exhaust whenever i first start it up of rev it to a higer level but it goes away after a few seconds of running.

And another problem is that about 30 seconds into startup the car revs itself back and fourth up to 2000 rpms when engine is idle at the same intervals until engine is shut off,im thinking that this is a vacuum problem but not too sure how to fix it.

Last but not least the steering is off. Any small bump in the road and it forces the wheels to turn slightly and also turns the steering to the point where i have tohold it in place and after making a turn the stering wheel does not straighten out, i have to do this manually.

Other than that everything else is good with the car, I just want to get this baby working proplerly cause i really love the car but i just cannot figure out what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance.

The white smoke indicates coolant is entering the cylinders. This is likely due to a failed cylinder head gasket. This is expensive. A failed head gasket can cause the overheating you are experiencing as well. I would take it to a reputable shop and have them look at it.

you also might cross your fingers and hope that by now the head hasnt gotten warped from the chronic overheating and cooling!

sounds like a head gasket, maybe a warped head, possibly a cracked block....

maybe a vacuum problem (my hondas used to have a problem with the idle air control valve which caused this to happen on them BUT my rx-7 had the customary problems with vacuum leaks so thats what caused it on them

get a alignment!

take it to a reputable and trust worthy mechanic and see what he says. good luck

• 6 months later...

Just an update, I had the head gasket and water pump other gaskets replaced and that took care of the overheating problems, anything else i should do after this type of work?

The reving back and fourth turned out to be a missing vacuum hose and an alignment has corrected my steering issues.

anything else i should do after this type of work?

AND again thanks for the help guys.