92 Ls400, 168k Miles Code 13 Help!?

Steve Haren

Hi all! I am new to this stuff so please bear with me. I can't even seem to get the posting to look like everyone else's.

i have a 92 LS400 that has CEL & coded a 13. I have replaced Crank Sensor, right bank cam sensor, (then I learned how to check the left bank sensor and it tested fine) new caps, rotors, plugs. Wires were all below 16Kohms. According to Toyota garage it is in time. The problem is a really rough stutter that happens if I just barely press on the accel pedal to maintain a speed. It does it at all speeds but is worst at 45 to 55 MPH. I also get it with the cruise on. Am starting to think fuel but that 13 keeps happening. If I acclerate or take foot off the pedal it goes away and is not noticeable at idle. If I am in park and lightly press on pedal the stutter is noticeable. Thought TPS or injectors but with a 13 would those make sense? PLEASE HELP.. Oh, I also checked and repaired the trunk wire harness.

Edited by Steve Haren

Could be an igniter prob. Under load, signal from the igniter back to the ecu is too weak causing the ecu to temporarily shut down the injectors to protect the cats until the load is lifted. Could also be a faulty ecu. Have the techs check these out.

Could be an igniter prob. Under load, signal from the igniter back to the ecu is too weak causing the ecu to temporarily shut down the injectors to protect the cats until the load is lifted. Could also be a faulty ecu. Have the techs check these out.

Igniter being one of the ignition coils? Would these not throw their own code? Also, would weak signal only work at a certain pedal position and be fine at idle and accel (beyond that pedal position)? I just read back and realized I neglected to say that it goes away with acceleration too so it only happens within the first 1/4 inch or so of pedal travel. I can and will go ahead and check those regardless.

I also have a valve slapping noice on heavy accel and load (like uphill).

According to techs the ecu would be creating more problems than just this. Is that right or should i get a second opinion?

Igniter controls the coil. I mentioned it because you've checked the crank/cam sensors and it seemed the next possible area to test. However, even with the 13 code, it sounds more like a fuel delivery or air supply issue. Like a sticky injector/butterfly?

• 4 weeks later...