How To Remove Cracked Mirror

motoroil

The mirrored glass is mounted on a plastic plate. The plate itself has a central ball socket for attachment to the mirror body, and two smaller ones alongside which are attached to the motor drive units for up and down/side to side movement. It is not designed to come apart, but it can be done, but you need to remove the entire mirror assembly from the car and have lots of patience, because it will be a major pain where you cannot have an ache. I have been there, done that and don't want to do it again unless absolutely necessary, hopefully in another lifetime. Instead, take a piece of heavy wrapping paper, place it over the the mirror glass, trace around its outside edge on the paper, and then cut out your pattern. Take the paper pattern to a glass house and have them cut you a new one. Be sure to tell them what it is for so that they will use a thin mirror rather than something else which may be way too thick and heavy. (Be aware that there are commercially available re-mirroring kits available for this exact purpose as well. I would imagine that you might get one from an automotive glass place. Maybe worth checking out.) Once you get the new mirror glue the new one right over the old mirror using standard silicone seal. Use lots and then hold the new mirror in place using lots of masking tape. Let the silicone set up and cure for a full 24 hours, remove the tape and you'll be good to go. Obviously if you have factory heated mirrors, the repaired mirror is most likely not going to do too much heating. Personally I've restored 3 such mirrors using this method over the years, with excellent results. Good Luck!

Thanks!

So you recommend just gluing the new mirror glass right over the old stuff. Its in shards--pretty bad--its okay to glue the new right over it? It won't be a flat mounting surface due to the shards and missing chunks--should I remove/chip out the old glass before gluing in the new glass--or just glue the new glass right over the old?

Remove the pieces that look like they may fall out easily, or that you can't get out without a great deal of trouble. You don't have to remove all of the old mirror, because you'll be using a 3/16th of an inch bead of clear silicone over the entire old mirror and its underlying plastic base. A bead entirely around the outside of the old mirror, in about a half inch from the edge of the glass, plus a zigzag back and forth across the inside of the outside bead will be sufficient. When you press the new mirror into place over the old one, CAREFULLY, the silicone will level itself out to fill the hollows and give you a good bond. Be sure to use lots of masking tape to keep the glass from changing position until it sets up completely in 24 hours or so. Remember to not get everything so thick (the old mirror, silicone and new mirror sandwich) that it interferes with the mirror's free movement when you activate your mirror switch, so you still get full up/down/side to side movement without it hitting the mirror canopy surround. I've repaired several using this method and it works like a charm. You shouldn't be disappointed with your results.