04 430 Comes Out Of Gear When Slowing Down

Archie 430

I first noticed this problem when trying to avoid a deer w/hard braking, than had to accelerate to prevent from getting rear ended.

After slowing down to avoid the deer. I tried to accelerate, the RPM'S came up and then the car went back into gear w/a violent jerk to the rear and a brief wheel spin (t/c kicked in). Dealer said that the car thought it was getting into a accident and then saffties kicked in.

I now have noticed at times (more when car is cold) under normal braking and trying to accelerate the car will come out of gear and slam back into drive. I now know how to prevent it from happening.

I had it in for a flush and they said it didn't need it because it has lifetime fluid and qty. was good. They have since flashed the computer with no improvement and when I checked the mileage I noticed they didn't even test drive the car.

The car is going back into the dealer today for that and a groaning noise when I start the car for the first time of the day (which could be related-front pump?). The car now has 69900 miles and drivetrain warranty is up soon, no extended. The transmission was changed AUG. 04 for the recall, does anybody know what the recall was for or if anybody has had a similar problem.

I first noticed this problem when trying to avoid a deer w/hard braking, than had to accelerate to prevent from getting rear ended.

After slowing down to avoid the deer. I tried to accelerate, the RPM'S came up and then the car went back into gear w/a violent jerk to the rear and a brief wheel spin (t/c kicked in). Dealer said that the car thought it was getting into a accident and then saffties kicked in.

I now have noticed at times (more when car is cold) under normal braking and trying to accelerate the car will come out of gear and slam back into drive. I now know how to prevent it from happening.

I had it in for a flush and they said it didn't need it because it has lifetime fluid and qty. was good. They have since flashed the computer with no improvement and when I checked the mileage I noticed they didn't even test drive the car.

The car is going back into the dealer today for that and a groaning noise when I start the car for the first time of the day (which could be related-front pump?). The car now has 69900 miles and drivetrain warranty is up soon, no extended. The transmission was changed AUG. 04 for the recall, does anybody know what the recall was for or if anybody has had a similar problem.

12-09-08

Lexus is installing a new transmission!

Buy the best and you get the best!

Sounds like Lexus is standing by their product - no surprise there.

What was the "groaning" noise you were hearing on cold starts? Was it like a gear whine? My '04 LS430 with ~45k miles has been making a whining noise on real cold days when first started, lasting for about 5 minutes until things warm up. Sounds like the power steering pump to me, but I suppose it could be the gear pump inn the tranny. Was thinking about taking it in for a check. How long had your car been groaning?