6-disc Cd Changer In Trunk Won't Play When Cold

I have a 1993 ES300 with a 6-disc CD changer in the trunk. It works fine, but on chilly mornings or on days when it's 50-ish or lower it won't play. The readout will list the disc and track, as if it's trying to play, then a few minutes later it'll give up and say "Err". Once the inside of the car warms up a bit, it'll start playing again though. What is wrong with it that causes it not to play when chilly, and is there any easy way to fix it without buying a new CD player for the dash? Thanks!

I have a 1993 ES300 with a 6-disc CD changer in the trunk. It works fine, but on chilly mornings or on days when it's 50-ish or lower it won't play. The readout will list the disc and track, as if it's trying to play, then a few minutes later it'll give up and say "Err". Once the inside of the car warms up a bit, it'll start playing again though. What is wrong with it that causes it not to play when chilly, and is there any easy way to fix it without buying a new CD player for the dash? Thanks!

The changer is probably dirty after 16 years. ;)

I've found exactly the same thing with my CD changer. During the summer it plays without a problem, but when the cold weather sets in, it often has a problem reading CDs. What I do when it shows the "ERR" message is keep switching from one CD to the next until it finds one it can read. I let it play that one for 5 minutes or so to "warm up" the internal mechanisms of the changer. After that I can usually play any of the discs in the changer without a problem. And maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't even try to play a CD in very cold weather when the car is stone cold. I think trying to play a CD when the player is very cold could put extra wear and tear on the internal motor and mechanisms. I always wait until the car is completely warmed up inside before attempting to use the CD changer. I sometimes open the little pass-thru door behind the back seat armrest so warm air can get into the trunk and raise the temperature before I try to play a CD in cold weather conditions. Or, I just listen to the radio instead. And as dcfish said, if your changer is dirty, that doesn't help matters either. I use a CD cleaning disc to clean the laser head every once in a while, but I've found in cold weather that the changer can still have a problem. This may be why the changer was moved to the glove box in later models.

One other note: I've also found that CD-Rs usually present more problems for the changer than do regular store-bought music CDs, so if all the discs in your changer are CD-Rs try putting a few regular CDs in it and see if that makes a difference.