Trying To Pinpoint A "running Lean" Problem

SoCo_Mama

Engine light came on over a month ago, car ran fine & I FINALLY got it into Autozone to hook up the car to the computer thing and it reads "engine lean" or something to that effect. AutoZone suggests replacing the O2 sensor. I have not done so yet. My husband cleaned off my battery which was extremely corrosive and in the process reset the check engine light so it was turned off.

I went to Brakes Plus today thinking I'll just have the damn O2 sensor replaced and see if that takes care of my "lack of mpg" problem. My mpg has gone from about 18 mpg in town to about 15 mpg in town. Well, Brakes Plus hooks up the computer thingee and it says "lean" but they say it's not the O2 sensor that needs to be replaced that it is time for the timing belt and water pump to be replaced, and that COULD be one of the issues, or the spark plugs or the manitake infold ??

Well...so what the hell is it? They suggest starting with the spark plugs first, however, they say it's a 3-4 hour job to change them out and I'm looking at at least 300$! To change my spark plugs? I'm going to see if my husband can do it since he has the tools.

Anyways, here are the major points of issues I'm having:

My gas mileage has gone down

Going up hills my car is pulling to get up and some belt or something is making a noise (not a squeaky noise) but I can really hear something "turning" in the engine.

Battery was extremely corrosive.

Has anybody else had issues like this? What is it? What are your suggestions on where to start? I still plan on bringing it into the dealer (Toyota) and to a reputible local business who works on foreign cars to get their input. Prices and suggestions vary so widely it's hard to know who to believe.

I've had this car for 3 years and it is unknown what the previous owner had done as he did not put any records in the car. I have 130K on the mileage. Great running car, no problems up until now.

Kim

Hello, cleaning you battery meant disconnecting leads. If the battery terminal were dirty enough to cause a CEL, the car would not start either. A few minuets of a disconnected battery will reset the CEL, no light, problem still unsolved. (it will go back on).

The water pump and timing belt has absolutely nothing to do with your CEL. Check with Lexus and see the recommend mileage for changing the belt. The water pump should be noisy or dripping if it on it’s way out.. That may be the noise but it wouldn’t be only under a load.

Your get mixed messages, If the cel say it’s running lean, that means less fuel, better mileage (maybe). I’d say O2 sensors but someone who knows these cars better than may disagree. With that said. It will be a sensor of some sort .

Regards, PK

Engine light came on over a month ago, car ran fine & I FINALLY got it into Autozone to hook up the car to the computer thing and it reads "engine lean" or something to that effect. AutoZone suggests replacing the O2 sensor. I have not done so yet. My husband cleaned off my battery which was extremely corrosive and in the process reset the check engine light so it was turned off.

I went to Brakes Plus today thinking I'll just have the damn O2 sensor replaced and see if that takes care of my "lack of mpg" problem. My mpg has gone from about 18 mpg in town to about 15 mpg in town. Well, Brakes Plus hooks up the computer thingee and it says "lean" but they say it's not the O2 sensor that needs to be replaced that it is time for the timing belt and water pump to be replaced, and that COULD be one of the issues, or the spark plugs or the manitake infold ??

Well...so what the hell is it? They suggest starting with the spark plugs first, however, they say it's a 3-4 hour job to change them out and I'm looking at at least 300$! To change my spark plugs? I'm going to see if my husband can do it since he has the tools.

Going up hills my car is pulling to get up and some belt or something is making a noise (not a squeaky noise) but I can really hear something "turning" in the engine.

Has anybody else had issues like this? What is it? What are your suggestions on where to start? I still plan on bringing it into the dealer (Toyota) and to a reputible local business who works on foreign cars to get their input. Prices and suggestions vary so widely it's hard to know who to believe.

I've had this car for 3 years and it is unknown what the previous owner had done as he did not put any records in the car. I have 130K on the mileage. Great running car, no problems up until now.

Kim

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset your computer. Drive until your CEL comes on. Go to Autozone and have them read the code(s) but make sure you get the actual numerical code(s). Come back and tell us what they are and we will tell you what they mean.

Don't let people start guessing and replacing parts...it will cost you a fortune and likely not solve your problem.

Kim

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset your computer. Drive until your CEL comes on. Go to Autozone and have them read the code(s) but make sure you get the actual numerical code(s). Come back and tell us what they are and we will tell you what they mean.

Don't let people start guessing and replacing parts...it will cost you a fortune and likely not solve your problem.

ARTBUC: I have the printout at home and I believe the codes are on it. I'll post back tonight, thanks!

Kim

The Code is P01701? Husband said it's the air intake manifold. He's taken off and cleaned it twice. Check engine light came back on both times. Now the car isn't running as "well", seem to idle funny at the stop light this morning, however could have been the cold weather, but I doubt it.

Any suggestions? Maybe should I replace the air intake manifold completely and see if this is the problem? If it's not that then replace the O2 sensor? This is ridiculous, why can't the code say "THIS IS THE PROBLEM... Go fix it?

OMG, I hate car issues.