All Season Vs Winter Tires For 00 Gs300

jsmestad

I am buying my first set of tires since my move out to Denver, CO from Chicago. I am driving a 2000 GS300 and have had decent luck with using the stock tires and 5 bags of sand in the trunk. However now out in Denver driving out on I-70 and Loveland Pass, I am looking to get something new. What would you all recommend? I only have the money for 1 set of tires on the current rims. I was debating getting winter tires and just riding them all year, but I think a good all season tire would be better? However I am new at all this tire stuff so I am unsure on what to look for/get. These will hopefully be the last set of tires I put on this car. It has about 140K miles on it.

There is a set of used Blizzaks in the 215/60-16 size you need on the Denver Craigslist for only $40: http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/912318826.html If they really do have "at least 1 or 2 winters" left, they should not be worn down to the winter wear bars yet. There are summer and winter wear bars on Blizzak tires.

You might find other used snow tires in the size you need by going through all the listings for "tires" on the Denver Craigslist. I searched for Blizzak because it was easy to do and that's what I use on my LS.

What are you doing on Loveland Pass? Taking the back way to A-Basin or Keystone? Carrying hazardous materials that can't go through the tunnel? I've taken the Highway 6 back way to A-Basin a zillion times.

yep back way to abasin :P What are the summer and winter wear bars, meaning why are there 2? Are these better to ride all the time on than all season?

Here is one more listing from Denver Craigslist: http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/898946107.html There are likely more for the size tire you need.

To be really effective, snow tires have to have a lot of tread. When Blizzaks are worn down to the winter wear bars, there is about 7/32" of tread left. When Blizzaks are worn down to the summer wear bars, there is only about 2/32" of tread remaining. I don't know if all winter tires have both summer and winter wear bars.

Yes, Blizzaks or any heavy duty snow tire with the mountain/snowflake logo on the side wall are waaaaay better than all season tires in the snow on a RWD car. It really depends on the car though. I had a FWD 1985 Honda CRX Si that I used primarily as my "ski car" during the five years I owned it. Even with its fairly wide OEM tires, it was an incredible snow car as long as the snow wasn't so deep that the car bottomed out -- it drove more like a rally car.

As long as they are not studded, you could use snow tires year round if you don't plan to own your car much longer. Snow tires don't have as much traction on dry pavement so you have to be careful.

You could probably "get by" with a new set of all season tires with that five sacks of sand in your trunk -- hope you have self leveling HID headlights though! However, real heavy duty snow tires with plenty of tread makes it less stressful and more fun to drive in the snow.

If you can't tell, I find driving in the snow to be great fun.