Tps Tackle

jcrome04

Hey everyone I just had a quick question about changing out the TPS.

Here's the tutorial from lexls.com

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/tps.html

I was just wondering if anyone knew of ANY differences in procedure for the 2nd gen. as I have a 97. I also DO NOT have traction control.

Lastly, is it possible the TPS doesn't fail entirely? I don't have any codes thrown, but have a small problem i think MIGHT be attributed to an ailing TPS.

It's amazing that an OEM TPS from Carson is ~$75 and a knock-off from the local auto parts store is ~$150!!!

Here's what I have from my '95 repair manual. It looks similar to what Carl has on his website. Also, I don't know if you found the answer to your questions about the IACV, so I'll attach those pages too. What problem do you have that you think the TPS might be causing?

post-1461-1226704685_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1226704692_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1226704698_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1226704706_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks a lot Blake.

Well I've mentioned once or twice around here before, When I'm going 40-60mph and let off the gas. The RPMs will suck down and you can feel the car decelerate. When I hit 1,000 RPM @ 40mph, the RPMs always kick back up to the right spot (1400 RPM @ 40mph).

I started to think, maybe it's the TPS? Maybe it doesn't read very well when I'm off the throttle. I left the sensor on when I cleaned my throttle body. So maybe some cleaner got in there and messed it up a little?? I tried my best to keep it out of the TPS, but maybe some got it?

I just want to explore my easiest options first.... And try to figure out ALL POSSIBILITIES of what it may be.

Also.. .any info on the coolant temp sensor? The OEM part from carson is only ~$45 so I was thinking I might as well swap that out for that price.

Is it a simple job? I'll have to do some more research on it..

Hey thanks a lot Blake.

Well I've mentioned once or twice around here before, When I'm going 40-60mph and let off the gas. The RPMs will suck down and you can feel the car decelerate. When I hit 1,000 RPM @ 40mph, the RPMs always kick back up to the right spot (1400 RPM @ 40mph).

I started to think, maybe it's the TPS? Maybe it doesn't read very well when I'm off the throttle. I left the sensor on when I cleaned my throttle body. So maybe some cleaner got in there and messed it up a little?? I tried my best to keep it out of the TPS, but maybe some got it?

No problem! I'm doubtful that you fried the sensor when you cleaned your throttle body. I've cleaned my throttle body with the TPS on, and it was fine. It almost sounds like a bit of the 95/96 computer problem, but I don't believe that applies to the '97 MY. I think checking the TPS and IACV would be good places to start.
Also.. .any info on the coolant temp sensor? The OEM part from carson is only ~$45 so I was thinking I might as well swap that out for that price.

Is it a simple job? I'll have to do some more research on it..

I'm away from my repair manual right now, but I'd be glad to post those pages for you later if you want. This seems like a great write up for the time being:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=sensor

No problem! I bought my repair manuals off of ebay for something like $200 when I bought my '95 several years ago. If you don't want the paperbound version that I have, I hear that you can download these manuals online for $10. It looks like you torque the sensor to 14 ft-lbs...

post-1461-1227187886_thumb.jpg

That makes it look pretty involved. I thought it was just pop the old one out and put the new one in?

Is it really necessary to drain any coolant?

I wouldn't mind replacing all my coolant too.... where can I get some Toyota Long Life coolant at a good price??? haha

That makes it look pretty involved. I thought it was just pop the old one out and put the new one in?
That's typical of the repair manual; you have to use your own discretion when you read their procedures. You should see what they want you to do to change the shocks. From what everyone is saying on CL, you do just unscrew the old one and put the new one in. Someone said it takes about 15minutes to change this; I'd tend to believe that since this doesn't seem complicated. I checked the resistance the ECT sensor in my '95, and all I had to do was move some of the plug wires out of the way.

Long life coolant at a good price...sounds like an oxymoron to me! :lol:

Another thing about the problem I've been having.

It's been gradually getting worse and worse. a few months ago it was just rarely when I'd let off the gas. But now it's every time I take my foot off the throttle. it WILL happen, guaranteed.

It looks easy enough to me. I guess what I SHOULD be asking.... How much is the Long Life coolant? or what's another coolant I should be using.

I just replaced (a couple days ago) my ghetto FRAM replacement PCV with a genuine Toyota PCV and wow... the difference is amazing. The FRAM one wasn't even the same shape... and the holes were so much smaller than the OEM one... The engine runs a lot quieter and smoother it seems. I think the ghetto PCV was really blocking things up. . .