Strange Odor In My Rx400h

There is a strange odor in the used RX400h I purchased. The odor seems to be coming from one of the battery vents under the rear seat. The smell has been described as that of hot (i.e., spicy) peppers by some, "skunky" by others. I am wondering if I have a defective battery that is outgassing. The smell disappears a few minutes after driving (diluted by the ventilation system). However, it is very strong when first opening the door to enter the vehicle.

I do seem to also have a leaky sunroof, which has made the carpets and the underlying matting (called "jute" by the Lexus tech) vey wet. I have never gotten the underlying matting completely dry. It may be possible that the smell is associated with the wet matting; however, I doubt it, as it is not a mildew odor. I suspect the tubes that drain the sunroof area leak into the vehicle. I did have a problem with a clogged tube that drains condensation off the air conditioner unit under the dash. The tech claimed he blew it clear. The problem I have now seems worse in the back seat area than the front.

Any help with the odor and the solution for leak in the sunroof area, I would greatly appreciate it.