Engine Code P0171

soko420

I drive a 1999 RX300 AWD. The problem is when I stop at a red light, sometimes my engine dies and then I have to restart the car. I went to Checker Auto to check my engine codes and the only code that popped up was P0171 - System too lean (Bank 1). Anyone know how to fix this problem? new O2 sensor?

thanks

I had a similar problem with our 02 RX 300. It turned out to be a faulty/bad gas cap and I found the hose that attaches to the air filter box off. When I reattached it and got a new gas cap ($7) the car ran fine. I had to get Auto Zone to clear the codes.

However, this might not be your problem. Your system is running too lean for some reason. Before I took it to a mechanic I would check all the hoses to make sure that one has not come unattached or maybe has a split in it. I recently had the Check Engine Light come on on my Ford Sport Trac and it read "Too Lean". After looking it over real good I found the hose that ran to the PCV Valve had a split in it. Replaced the hose, $2, and it cleared the light and runs fine.

You might have an 02 Sensor problem but this forum is full of threads where owners get the P0171 reading and it is not the sensor but something minor that sets the light off.

Good Luck

You might want to do a search on the p0171 code. You'll find alot of info on this site and do the work you can then outsource. To clear code disconnect the battery cable for a few minutes.

Best of luck and keep posting.