"shaking" Car

aparupal

I own a 1999 Model ES300 and all of a sudden it started shaking while driving.

First of all, I thought its because a flat tire but tires are pretty good...

Also the Check Engine and VSC/VSC OFF lights are ON in the dashboard...

Does it sounds like a big technical problem?

Often I used to see the Check Engine and VSC/VSC OFF lights appear and go on their own after a few days.

Wow, that's hard to diagnose, but if you've got the check engine light and VSC lights coming on, then it's not anything peripheral and solely mechanical like a flat tire or ball joints coming loose or other. It sounds like a coil pack went out on you. You'll need a code reader to find what codes are popping up (Autozone or similar will check your codes for free). If you get a "misfire on cylinder X", then that's highly indicative of a coil pack failing. Some ES300 models have 3 coil packs, with each pack sharing between two cylinders, while other models have individual coil packs. If you have a shared coil pack, you could just have arcing through one of the wires.

First off, you'll need to check codes to guide you in the location of your issue. Post back in here with codes if you can get them.

Often I used to see the Check Engine and VSC/VSC OFF lights appear and go on their own after a few days.

I had this problem couple of weeks ago.. on my 99 es300 .. it was shaking . I took it to a local workshop and they changed one of the ignition coils. Since then, no problems yet.

The shaking could have been a engine misfire and depending on the check engine codes, it could be your spark plugs, spark plug cables or your ignition coils.

Hi! Did you find out what the problem with the car was? I own a 1999 ES300 as well and I started experiencing exact same problem today. Please let me know so I can follow similar action for correction.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I own a 1999 Model ES300 too and i have noticed this week that the engine is getting louder with whistling sound during acceleration on the high ways. The CEL and Trac off light was on for a week and then went off just the day before i was to see my mechanic for diagnosis last week. The light has not come on since then. Everything seem to be fine except for the noise i hear when im accelerating. Im taking it today for check up though

About these CEL, the computer stores the code even after the CEL went off. Sometimes the scanner can pick up the error code after a CEL went off.

I had a CEL P1xxx 2 months ago for overnight and went off the next day. I scanned it and still inside the computer.

This happens because the car/computer was able to compensate the problem and the computer feels it's somewhat back to normal, so the CEL went off.

If you don't deal w/the CEL before the next smog check, it will fail the smog check by a previous CEL.

By the way, the ignition cool CEL will not go off once the coil is damaged. I suspect you have some other problems going on and computer might be compensating it.

I've dealt with this many times on my 2000 Es300. I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that you have one or more coil-packs that have gone bad. There are six (one for each piston), and when one stops working, you get a cylinder misfire. Your car is shaking because when a cylinder stops firing, it becomes dead weight on the crankshaft, which throws the engine off balance.

The fix is pretty easy... you only need about 10-15 minutes, an allen wrench, and a new coil-pack (about $100 from Lexus). The most difficult part is identifying which cylinder is misfiring. Luckily, the coil packs (which sit above each spark plug) are extremely easy to access from the top of the engine and don't necessitate the removal of multiple parts to access them.