Steering Wheel Telescope Not Working 2000 Ls

kevinsurfer

I need some help. My steering wheel telescope function doesn't work. It will go up or down, but not in or out. I can hear a soft click when I hit the button, but no movement. I have searched the forum, but there is only info on fixing the tilt function. Any one with some insight? I have a 2000 LS. :censored:

I think I have posted all the TSIB documents on tilt/telecope issues on the 98-00 LS400 -- there were several including one that replaced both the tilt and telescope motors and other parts. TSIB work is done at no cost usually only while a car is within warranty. Unfortunately, the problems usually don't arise until a car is out of warranty.

A coworker checked about a year ago on having the TSIB work done to replace the motors on his 99 LS -- $1500 sticks in my mind.

Attached are two TSIBs that I can lay my hands on right now.

If you are lucky and can get the steering wheel to where you normally want it while driving, you can have the dealer turn off the automatic tilt/telescope feature with a handheld scanner. Maybe the telescope motor will free up over time if you play with the switch. It sometimes happens.

Maybe it's a good that I have gorilla arms -- knuckles dragging on the pavement. The telescope motor on my car gets used only a few times a year when my wife drives it.

Tilt__Telescopic_Steering_Column_TISB.pdf

TSIB_ST001_04_Steering_column_noise.pdf

I think I have posted all the TSIB documents on tilt/telecope issues on the 98-00 LS400 -- there were several including one that replaced both the tilt and telescope motors and other parts. TSIB work is done at no cost usually only while a car is within warranty. Unfortunately, the problems usually don't arise until a car is out of warranty.

A coworker checked about a year ago on having the TSIB work done to replace the motors on his 99 LS -- $1500 sticks in my mind.

Attached are two TSIBs that I can lay my hands on right now.

If you are lucky and can get the steering wheel to where you normally want it while driving, you can have the dealer turn off the automatic tilt/telescope feature with a handheld scanner. Maybe the telescope motor will free up over time if you play with the switch. It sometimes happens.

Maybe it's a good that I have gorilla arms -- knuckles dragging on the pavement. The telescope motor on my car gets used only a few times a year when my wife drives it.

Thanks for the info. I have seen these tsb's on a forum search. I wonder if the in/out function can be done manually?

I just now looked and I can see the spinning shaft of the telescope motor pull my steering wheel in and out. I can see this shaft only when the steering wheel is mostly extended -- I'm looking through the crack between the "Column Lower Cover" and the "No. 1 Safety Pad" (see TSIB ST001-04) that gets bigger as the wheel extends. I think you would be able to more easily see this shaft and the telescope motor after removing the black plastic panel that contains the footwell light. I can't tell if it is possible spin the shaft manually and I wouldn't want to try on my car since the telescope feature is working.

Here is a web page that shows prices for components in the steering column: http://www.parts.com/lexus/2000-lexus-ls-4...olumn-parts.cfm

Not that the problem is necessarily the telescope motor, but I don't see it on this web page. If it is the telescope motor, it looks easy to replace following the TSIB instructions.

Do you happen to know anyone with a 98-00 LS400 that you could compare the functioning of the telescope feature with? I'm lucky to have a friend with a 99 LS that is virtually identical to my 00 LS -- For example, I determined which component of my Nakamichi system was malfunctioning by swapping components into his car.

If you can't determine which component is preventing the telescope feature from working, can you have a repair shop or the dealer at least determine the cause of the problem? I suppose it is possible that some component is binding -- maybe from lack of use -- and that a well placed small shot of clear silicon spray could help. Avoid using WD40, though -- it's evil and can gum up components and cause nasty stains if used in the car's interior.

I just now looked and I can see the spinning shaft of the telescope motor pull my steering wheel in and out. I can see this shaft only when the steering wheel is mostly extended -- I'm looking through the crack between the "Column Lower Cover" and the "No. 1 Safety Pad" (see TSIB ST001-04) that gets bigger as the wheel extends. I think you would be able to more easily see this shaft and the telescope motor after removing the black plastic panel that contains the footwell light. I can't tell if it is possible spin the shaft manually and I wouldn't want to try on my car since the telescope feature is working.

Here is a web page that shows prices for components in the steering column: http://www.parts.com/lexus/2000-lexus-ls-4...olumn-parts.cfm

Not that the problem is necessarily the telescope motor, but I don't see it on this web page. If it is the telescope motor, it looks easy to replace following the TSIB instructions.

Do you happen to know anyone with a 98-00 LS400 that you could compare the functioning of the telescope feature with? I'm lucky to have a friend with a 99 LS that is virtually identical to my 00 LS -- For example, I determined which component of my Nakamichi system was malfunctioning by swapping components into his car.

If you can't determine which component is preventing the telescope feature from working, can you have a repair shop or the dealer at least determine the cause of the problem? I suppose it is possible that some component is binding -- maybe from lack of use -- and that a well placed small shot of clear silicon spray could help. Avoid using WD40, though -- it's evil and can gum up components and cause nasty stains if used in the car's interior.

Thanks for your help. I complained to Lexus that the problem was not disclosed to me at purchase. They are willing to diagnose and help pay for the repair. I hope that they will cover 50%.