Intro And Question On Navi 8.1v

lx470tuner

Hey all, my name is Dave and I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a 2007 Lexus LX470 and lovin it (except the navi). Just thought I'd say hello (and ask few questions :rolleyes: ).

As implied earlier, I do not like the navigation on this car. Coming from a Audi MMI-Gen II system (not trying to flame lexus product here) I find the lexus interface way too restricting. So I'm trying to see how many of these little annoyances I can solve. So my first thought is to update the software to 8.1v.

So here are my dumb newbie questions:

1. I like the visual layout of the newer lexus navigation better (I think it's the gen5). The one with more clear and sharper visuals that has black (I think) background. Does updating to 8.1v for Gen4 in any way change the visual nature of the navigation or does it still look like the way it is (with the green background and all)?

2. Can anyone confirm once and for all rather the "I agree" button acutally goes away like it is rumored to on the 8.1v? or is it just a rumor?

3. For the love of God, is there any way to use the bluetooth phone function while the vehicle is in motion? The navigation only lets me call the people I pre-set in the 1-touch function. I want to be able to dial in motion without actually reaching for the phone (just incase you're wondering why I'm seeming being so lazy about picking up the actual phone when it seem like such a tidious task, I live in an area where use of cell phone in a vehicle in any way is illegal. Got pulled over because I was holding it in my hand once).

4. Does the 8.1v improve and/or expand the voice command recognition technology? The car can't understand me unless I'm yelling at it if I try to speak to it while in motion (usually over 60mph+). I wish I can tell it to do more things (like dial numbers or call so-and-so).

Thanks all in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the help :(

Anyways, I went ahead and bought a 8.1v and I'm going to go ahead and reply all of the above quesitons myself for those of you that might have had the same questions.

1. No visual upgrades or changes what so ever.

2. "I agree" button still appears initially and does not go away on its own.

3. No changes in bluetooth functionality what so ever.

4. No improvements in voice recognition technology what so ever.

P.S. The "secret" override sequence menu does not exist on the 8.1v Gen 4.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you all for the help :(

Anyways, I went ahead and bought a 8.1v and I'm going to go ahead and reply all of the above quesitons myself for those of you that might have had the same questions.

1. No visual upgrades or changes what so ever.

2. "I agree" button still appears initially and does not go away on its own.

3. No changes in bluetooth functionality what so ever.

4. No improvements in voice recognition technology what so ever.

P.S. The "secret" override sequence menu does not exist on the 8.1v Gen 4.

Hi Dave,

I was curious about the DVD as well. I've read some other posts and, depending on the generation, results vary (it seems).

I think I'll save the $$ for the next one maybe.

I also agree with the bluetooth. Sometimes mine works great and other times not. I can't figure out what makes it work and what doesn't. I havent found the voice recogniton to be too useful.

• 1 month later...

The update disk is primarily an update of the maps and POIs, the computer system itself is not changed.

I updated to v7.1 last year because my maps were so old I was coming up with erroneous POIs and many cities we traveled to had streets that did not exist in my original Gen2 version.

The graphics of the v7.1 are significantly improved with more colors, icons, and displays available than originally. The streets and POIs are huge upgrades. However, I still have the Gen2 system, so it struggles with the huge increase in data, especially when I set a 1000 mile trip. I get some strange routings (detours) along the way, when I would expect the shortest interstate route to be chosen. I have better success on the route if I pick waypoints within 300 miles of each other. My conclusion, is that my nav computer is memory challenged by the new data DVD and comes up with erratic results when processing all the added data. By selecting smaller data portions, I have better results with the routing. For those with older systems, added data is really nice, but the nav will run slower and may have data processing challenges.