Changing Transmission Fluid On 1998 Es300

m2pc

Well, finally changed out the transmission fluid and differential (well kinda).

10mm hex nut works great. BUT.....the 10mm socket and the socket didn't have enough clearanceto get to the differential drain, was bumping into part of the suspension frame. Any suggestions? The 10mm hex socket is a craftsman.

Also, I expected to drained out and fill at least 3.5 qts of tranny fluid, only drained and refilled 2.3-2.5qts from the tranny, this seem out of normal? I just re-used the old washer (even though I had a new one - 'cause I'm thinking I'm going to do this again relatively soon again) and torqued it down to around 36 ft-lBbs.

Although the last tranny fill was 15k ago, the drained fluid, although pink, was not the cherry red of the new fluid and has a slightly different smell. I wonder if this is because the last fluid change was around 3 years ago?

I guess I could try an allen wrench and if that works, I'll drain and fill both the tranny and differential again.

Thanks for any help in advance

JPI,

Thanks for all your help, was able to use a big 10mm allen wrench on the differential plug and that did the trick. So I drained the tranny fluid after driving around so I guess I did a double flush.

You was right, the total for both the tranny and the differential seems to be around 3.5 qts. and yes you was right about the 98 differential filled through the atf dipstick. I verified this after draining the differential by pouring in about a quarter qt of ATF and I then removed the plug again and there it was draining out of the plug :)

Don't know if the ATF tube goes directly to the differential or the ATF , but it sure got there quick. Now the fluid looks cherry red and life is good:)

Thanks again for your help!

JPI,

Thanks for all your help, was able to use a big 10mm allen wrench on the differential plug and that did the trick. So I drained the tranny fluid after driving around so I guess I did a double flush.

You was right, the total for both the tranny and the differential seems to be around 3.5 qts. and yes you was right about the 98 differential filled through the atf dipstick. I verified this after draining the differential by pouring in about a quarter qt of ATF and I then removed the plug again and there it was draining out of the plug :)

Don't know if the ATF tube goes directly to the differential or the ATF , but it sure got there quick. Now the fluid looks cherry red and life is good:)

Thanks again for your help!

I'm glad I can help. Yeah, the tranny on the camry is the same but you have to fill it up at the diff.

www.jpimportz.org